Sennheiser 416 @ B&H $600

dlwilliams

> no sales tax.

In California and at least some other US states, there's a "use tax" on online sales made through merchants that don't collect sales tax. I always pay that because I write off my equipment, I don't want to get audited (and don't want problems if I do), and it feels like the right thing to do. So that narrows the price "advantage" of some online retailers...

Also, that $600 price was offered by at least one of our usual-suspect location audio dealers (Location Sound), and I heard some others price matched without stress.

But I wonder: Why the large short-term price cut? These don't seem to be Rio Olympic leftovers, and I kinda don't think a 416mk2 would really fly (wasn't that the MKH60 or 8060?), and um...

Anyone know, have an educated guess, or fun conspiracy theory?

On 12/29/2016 at 10:33 AM, Mobilemike said:

I think it was just a crazy deal B&H offered to catch customers. Not indicative of anything happening at Sennheiser IMO. 

-Mike

Sennheiser has a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy that dealers have to follow, which is the reason why the price of the 416 new from an authorized dealer is $999 wherever you go. Yes, some dealers occasionally break this MAP policy, but they risk losing their dealership. The fact that a bunch of stores other than B&H also had the 416 on a "flash sale", I'm guessing it was something that was Sennheisser-approved. It doesn't necessarily mean it's being discontinued or replaced, though, especially since it was a one day thing and not a permanent MAP reduction.

Sennheiser has a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy that dealers have to follow, which is the reason why the price of the 416 new from an authorized dealer is $999 wherever you go. Yes, some dealers occasionally break this MAP policy, but they risk losing their dealership. The fact that a bunch of stores other than B&H also had the 416 on a "flash sale", I'm guessing it was something that was Sennheisser-approved. It doesn't necessarily mean it's being discontinued or replaced, though, especially since it was a one day thing and not a permanent MAP reduction.

Not disagreeing with you, but a company like Sennheiser, or any of our ususal suspects really, could not afford to lose a dealer like B&H, and the others mentioned as well. They would have to drop all of them who participated. That would be a big drop.
I would guess that they have in their agreements with their dealers that they can occasionally have these short lived promotions (of which Sennheiser benefits, too). The other shops probably just followed B&H, or maybe they followed the others. They all monitor each other's prices all the time