Dave

AKG Versus DPA Microdot Adapter For DPA 4061 Lav?

14 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just added my first Microdot connector Lav to my set-up - a DPA 4061. Now researching microdot adapters and am comparing the DPA adapters to the AKG versions.  I am needing to use the 4061 with Sennheiser G3 wireless, at least for the next while.  Are these Microdot adapters universal or interchangeable?

Here's the AKG version :

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1192234-REG/akg_6500h00310_mda3_sen2_microlite_microphone.html

versus the DPA version:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/390976-REG/DPA_Microphones_DAD6034_DAD6034_MicroDot_to_Locking.html

Would there be any technical and/or quality difference between the 2 brands?  I also see an "off shore" brand available elsewhere but a little hesitant about that, unless anyone has a favourable reliability rating for these.

Lastly, any issues with DPA 4061 with XLR microdot adapter into Sound Devices 302?  How is mic safely drawing power from 302?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experiences - very kind.

Best Regards,

Dave Mc.

I would be cautious to use that adaptor. The DPA mics are designed to receive a certain voltage. Couldn't find any specs on the voltage output of those adaptors.

The XLR adaptor converts 48V phantom power to the proper voltage for the DPA mics. 

You have a dpa mic stick with dpa accessories. They are guaranteed to work and not damage the mic. Using another brand may damage your mic and could possibly void any warranty if there is any remaining on the mic. 

The thread could also be of different sizes

The microdot adapter on my DPA Slim started crackling and is back to DPA for warranty work, so not "guaranteed to work," just guaranteed.

10 hours ago, rodpaul said:

The microdot adapter on my DPA Slim started crackling and is back to DPA for warranty work, so not "guaranteed to work," just guaranteed.

are you saying the actual Microsoft adapter is crackling? I am yet to see a faulty Microdot.

are you saying the actual Microsoft adapter is crackling? I am yet to see a faulty Microdot.

Me too. Although the cable just above the MicroDot is a common cause for crackling and other issues.

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

Me too. Although the cable just above the MicroDot is a common cause for crackling and other issues.

If it is not tight yes otherwise rock solid

If it is not tight yes otherwise rock solid

No the cable itself breaks in places, especially in the area just above the MicroDot, the bit which they already reinforced. This is not related to the MicroDot, though. It has more to do with talent dropping tx while they are wired

DPA says it's the Microdot and are covering under warranty - I am just repeating what they said. All just a few months old.

I've had microdots fail. Just happens. They replace them if under warranty. 

Microdots are manually put on connectors at the DPA factory. It is an elaborate procedure. Albeit that the connectors are thoroughly tested, they may break in the field.