Rode Blimp 2 Windshield Modification for NT4

mikeodmark

Has anyone had luck modifying the new version of the Rode Blimp (with the rycote lyres) to fit the Rode NT4? I'm trying to find a windshield solution that won't cost more than the mic :|  

Based on the pictures, it seems like it should be easy to simply unscrew the current lyres and replace them with the 30mm upgrade sold by Rycote (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629616-REG/Rycote_042218_042218_30mm_Lyre_Upgrade.html/mode/edu

I'd love to hear if anyone has any other ideas or knows if my solution will work or not. Thanks! 

mike

1 hour ago, jhharvest said:

I don't know if it's relevant to you but I have one older Rode blimp that I replaced the O-ring suspension with Rycote lyres. I can't remember it being particularly difficult, although I did have to put in some spacers for whatever reason.

Thanks for the response. I've found that the older blimp is impossible to find since it's been discontinued, that's why I'm asking specifically about the new version. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Old thread, but FYI- no modification is necessary for an NT4/4+ to fit in the Rode Blimp. It accepts mics up to 22mm in diameter. The NT4 is 22mm in diameter. Dunno why the OP thinks 30mm lyres are necessary...

The standard lyres included with the Blimp 2 are too soft. I had to replace mine in order to support a mile long NTG8 because of the weight.

In my case I got "82 shore" lyres, which are the stiffest as far as I know. Due to the way lyres are fitted to the boom I had to add a couple of plastic spacers in order to place the microphone at the right position.

17 hours ago, Humhed said:

Old thread, but FYI- no modification is necessary for an NT4/4+ to fit in the Rode Blimp. It accepts mics up to 22mm in diameter. The NT4 is 22mm in diameter. Dunno why the OP thinks 30mm lyres are necessary...

The Rode NT4 is 33mm diameter: it is a chunky-bodied stereo mic. Given your ref to the 'NT4/4+', it looks like you have confused this with the NTG4 (and NTG4+) shotgun mic.

Cheers,

Roland