Audio Follow Cart Concept

Matt Bacon AMPS

Here is a concept for a Follow Cart based on the Bag Cart (1070mm x 710mm x 565mm HxWxD). It has 15u of rear storage and a further 2u at the front. It has a cover that unscrews and rises up to become a work surface (as shown in the CAD drawings). The cart would be compatible with all of SOUNDCART's universal accessories however would not fold as the other cart designs do.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions...

temp1.png

temp2.png

temp3.png

temp4.png

temp5.png

temp6.png

Looks great! I have only one comment: having the drawer access on the back, if we can call it that, could be a problem. Typically, carts of this design (big wheels in back, guide wheels on the handle) are tied off an secured on the truck with this surface (the wheels) up against the wall of the truck. Tied off and secured in this manner, the drawers would be inaccessible until the cart was detached and pulled away from the wall. This may not be a problem, though, looking at the front of the cart (which appears to be a solid surface) --- maybe people would just put that front surface against the truck or trailer wall and tie it off, thus providing access to the drawers. Access to the drawers when tied off is important at call time and at wrap when the cart(s) are tied off for travel. It is possible as well that this cart is designed more for traveling in small vehicles and the whole tying it off on a truck or trailer may not even be an issue. I apologize for far too many words. 

Hi Jeff, thanks for taking the time to reply. Your comments are fair and yes the "front" is solid so could be placed against the side of the truck. 

Mounting points are also optional accessories so can be used to secure the cart during transit. 

No reason why the drawers could be mounted in a different orientation to that shown. The "front" lid or work surface could then be attached after?

4 hours ago, JackHenry said:

What happens when you tilt it backward to move it, if you've not secured all of the drawers???

Someone else (on another platform) also mentioned the same. Good point!!

The answer I think is to make all four uprights the same height so the work surface can be placed on top (the rear handles would not go above the level of the uprights) over the handle allowing full access to the drawers on the opposite side to the handle. 

Keep these comments coming!!

2 hours ago, JackHenry said:

No, I mean when you tilt the cart backwards to wheel it somewhere. If you don't secure the drawers, they'll slide open.

Yes I understood what you meant ;)

2 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

Most rack mounted drawers latch shut and have optional locks as well

Yes they do but I see the point that Sod's law will mean at the end of a long day in the dark you tip the cart back and all the tiny pop shields fall to the floor. 

I have a solution (design tweak) which I will implement. This is great feedback, more the better to create as good a cart as possible. 

I'm currently designing the innards of a Pelican iM3075. It's a very large case and I'm trying to figure out a way to use the lid cavity to store my rolled cables (when using the case vertically). If you have something in mind for your design for cable handling, spit it out.......

It's an interesting and well thought out design.

JackHenry: What happens when you tilt it backward to move it, if you've not secured all of the drawers???

Some years ago I researched the same problem but other circumstances precluded implementing the solution I found. Commercial airplanes have the same challenge with cabinets for food supplies and the like. They use a lever that twists vertical to provide access and horizontal to lock the door or drawer closed. These are typically aluminum and anodized in a bright color so that the open-closed position is apparent at a glance.

I found a company that supplies these levers and contacted them. Obviously they are not interested in retail sales of only two or three levers but the minimum order requirement was really quite modest. As I recall, it could be met with an expenditure of $100 or, maybe, $150.

Regrettably, I did this research some years ago and don't have the contact information ready to hand. I'll keep noodling about for it but I expect it wouldn't be too big a Google search for you to find it on your own. It was either a U.S. company or a Canadian company. (a wide swath, I know)

David

Interesting idea. Have you ever had difficulty putting your seat belt on when parked on a steep slope? The little inertia thingy sometimes locks on when on a steep angle. I wonder how you'd get around that if these drawer level type latches did the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackHenry:  I wonder how you'd get around that if these drawer level type latches did the same.

As I recall, there is a simple detent, probably a spring-loaded ball bearing, in both the "Open" and "Close" positions. The latch "fingers" are reasonably big and easy to grasp. Different sizes are available but most that I've seen were between 2-inches and 3-inches long.

The next 
time you fly somewhere, take a look at the cabinet latches in the flight attendant work areas and you'll get the sense of the matter.

David

21 hours ago, JackHenry said:

I'm currently designing the innards of a Pelican iM3075. It's a very large case and I'm trying to figure out a way to use the lid cavity to store my rolled cables (when using the case vertically). If you have something in mind for your design for cable handling, spit it out.......

From what you have mentioned my initial thought would be to secure some netting with an elastic opening to prevent them from falling out. 

How many and what type are you talking? XLR cables or small timecode cables?

18 hours ago, Jan McL said:

Like where you're going with this.

Might be fun to have optional side tables, too.

Wonder about your thoughts relative to having only two wheels. Perhaps simplicity is best here.

Yes this could potentially be possible as an optional add-on. Yes I considered having front casters during the design process. This could also be an option (a tall version  and a short version) but would reduce the available storage space which I considered more important. Am I wrong?

When tipped on the rear wheels they should  big enough to transverse over all but the toughest terrain.

Aspects such as weight I think are also a consideration especially if you are lifting it up a set of stairs. 

18 hours ago, David Waelder said:

It's an interesting and well thought out design.

JackHenry: What happens when you tilt it backward to move it, if you've not secured all of the drawers???

Some years ago I researched the same problem but other circumstances precluded implementing the solution I found. Commercial airplanes have the same challenge with cabinets for food supplies and the like. They use a lever that twists vertical to provide access and horizontal to lock the door or drawer closed. These are typically aluminum and anodized in a bright color so that the open-closed position is apparent at a glance.

I found a company that supplies these levers and contacted them. Obviously they are not interested in retail sales of only two or three levers but the minimum order requirement was really quite modest. As I recall, it could be met with an expenditure of $100 or, maybe, $150.

Regrettably, I did this research some years ago and don't have the contact information ready to hand. I'll keep noodling about for it but I expect it wouldn't be too big a Google search for you to find it on your own. It was either a U.S. company or a Canadian company. (a wide swath, I know)

David

Thanks for the tip David. I'll perform some investigations. Regarding the colour coding I like the idea and could combine it with my idea of offering some generic coloured cut foam inserts for drawers. 

7 hours ago, JackHenry said:

There are a couple of 'table tops' seen on this site. You might get some ideas.
http://www.cases.com.au/DDX/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2388

Thanks will do. I appreciate from everyone's comments and ideas. They are much appreciated. Please keep them coming!!

26 minutes ago, JackHenry said:

Matt, I'm talking about two or three 25 metre long rolled 2 channel Mogami 2930

Something like this... Portable-Bathroom-Baby-Toys-Storage-font-b-Net-b-font-font-b-Bag-b-font-with.jpg but without the toys in them. You get the idea though.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I'd add 4 large cable hooks. The kind that can fold left and right to squeeze through doorways. But I love the design. I'd but it now if it were available.

Yeah good shout. Like these (see attached photos)?? Also good to know. 

1 hour ago, RPSharman said:

Great design. I really think you want the drawers the other way, and small front wheels. Table should have a lip so stuff doesn't roll off. 

Thanks Robert. I agree. 

The design change maybe to make is have all the uprights the same height, move the handle down slightly to allow the work surface to be placed over the handles. The orientation of the drawers could be changed to open the other way.

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG