Sound devices upgrade Query

TommygunZA

Hi all, First post...needing advice.

I have a little cash and want to upgrade gear. Im a run and gunner vidiot for 10 yrs or so. Current gear is SD302, Sennheiser ME66 and 3 or 4 Sony wireless lav things. (Gear is limited and costly here in ZA), recording from mixer to camera and out to a Zoom h4n for some safety.

I have maybe $5000 at a push to spend.

I was thinking SD633 + bag, batteries, chargers, bells n whistles (cables&bag) + new MIcs for the sonys to replace the shitty stock ones and a Sennheiser 416.

However...I would like to be able to connect maybe 4 or 5 mic level items to the mixer on occasion (cant afford Lectrosonics (which can output line level??))

So...can I keep the 302 and have the tape out or L+R out and feed that into the SD633 for 2 more channels which it can also record OR should I try and sell the 302 and bite the bullet & get a SD644 (or shoot myself with the bullet and get the SD688) and then not replace lav mics and rifle till much later?

I do like the idea of the compact nature (lightness too) of the 633 and it will probably be fine for most applications and the price (633) means I can get some other goodies too (mics)

Any suggestions?

Great sound starts at the source. Yes that means the actor/subject first but for us that also means that the microphones we use are the first way for us to get good sound. If the mics are subpar, nothing further down the line will improve the sound. 

So if I were you I would first and formost be looking to upgrade microphones. The 416 is a great outdoor mic - that and a good wind protection system are great choices. I would also invest in a great indoor mic too - something like the MKH50 or Schoeps CMC641. Then you'll have excellent quality mics for just about any situation. 

The SD633 is a great choice too, and yes, out can definitely run your 302 into it if you need more mic channels. I'd just start with the mics first and work from there. 

-Mike

I agree. 633. I'd consider an 8060. Good indoors and out, and not very expensive. If you're only getting one mic. Get a couple of MKE2 or Cos11 for your Sonys.

As you get more $$ you can get some vintage Lectro, that will serve you as good back-ups and additional channels as you start looking at new wireless. 

You can go 664, but I regret having bought one instead of 633, as most work I do that requires I be portable doesn't need such a big and heavy machine. 

Robert

Thanks For your "sound" advice. I will do as you both suggest, a 633 and Mic upgrades. I do have a couple of Tram TR50 wired Lavs too but find I very rarely use them, wireless is so much more convenient. 

I guess I can ask B&H but do you know off hand if the MKE2 or Cos11 work on Sonys (Sold with Sony wiring setup), I know the Sony's have a weird power/wiring setup. 

Do people have any experience of the Sony ECM-55B or ECM-66B. Just thinking compatibility and ease of purchase here in ZA. If the MKE2 or Cos11 are way better Ill make the effort to get them.

I would have Gone Sennheiser Wireless but there is a premium on them here in ZA because there is a dealer and it also meant B&H would not ship them here. New Sonys (uwp-D11) are about $600 whereas the Sennheiser ew112P are close to $1000. Personally I think the Sennheisers just ship with better Mics but the back end stuff (transmit/Receive) is pretty comparable. 

46 minutes ago, TommygunZA said:

Do people have any experience of the Sony ECM-55B or ECM-66B. Just thinking compatibility and ease of purchase here in ZA. If the MKE2 or Cos11 are way better Ill make the effort to get them.

No experience of 55B/66B, but have used ECM-77B pretty extensively and is a very good lav mic option. Not quite the same detail in high-end as the Cos11 but an excellent choice

Another 633 query re power. Can you run it from the mains with a transformer and if you can can you charge your Sony type Li-ion batteries on the 633 or do you need a seperate charger? And...do ppl rather use the whole HiRose XLNPH battery cup thing...which may be better for me as I can use it for the 302 too.

Thanks again for all the help.

8 hours ago, TommygunZA said:

Thanks For your "sound" advice. I will do as you both suggest, a 633 and Mic upgrades. I do have a couple of Tram TR50 wired Lavs too but find I very rarely use them, wireless is so much more convenient. 

I guess I can ask B&H but do you know off hand if the MKE2 or Cos11 work on Sonys (Sold with Sony wiring setup), I know the Sony's have a weird power/wiring setup. 

I would have Gone Sennheiser Wireless but there is a premium on them here in ZA because there is a dealer and it also meant B&H would not ship them here. New Sonys (uwp-D11) are about $600 whereas the Sennheiser ew112P are close to $1000. Personally I think the Sennheisers just ship with better Mics but the back end stuff (transmit/Receive) is pretty comparable. 

I had cos-11 wired for Sony UWP, works fine.

I don't think you can charge the batteries by plugging the 633 (unlike the 7xx series). You'll need a separate charger. But you can definitely run it with AC power using the adaptor.

... you could find a used BDS kit with battery cup to feed both the 633 and 302 (and more gear as you expand the kit). As an example, lots of them here: http://www.trewaudio.com/product-category/used-gear/u-misc/page/2/

I have a ECM 55. it's an omni and I love the way it isolates the wearer w/o the usual cardioid issues. Unfortunately it's f__king HUGE (Godzilla), so it rarely gets out of the case.

AFAIK, the only mic powering difference with the Sony bodypack transmitter compared to the G2/3 is the plug wiring. The Sony's plug-on transmitter has Phantom Power. With the Sennheiser, you would have to upgrade to the 300 or 2000 series butt plug

"I think the Sennheisers just ship with better Mics"
- The ME2 omni lav that's bungled with the bodypack G2/3 is basically a POS.