Equipment wishes for 2017

Glen Deakin

A control surface, like a CL-9 (but with more everything) for the PIX, that was also back compatible with the 7 series. Maybe it could even be a third party modular system

...and also the ability to auto mute certain outputs on 7 and 6 series recorders, when stopped. That's probably just a software thing

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reboot of the separate mixer, recorder. I.e. a new cameo mixer, and deva update or nomad recorder. I'm not a fan of the control surface. Used to be... I would have the deva on the cart, and if I had to do a bag shot, I would unplug the deva from the cameo, and Away I go. The deva 24 looks massive and too "computery" for me. My 2 cents.

On 17/01/2017 at 11:22 AM, IronFilm said:

I strongly doubt Sound Devices / Zaxcom / Sonosax will release an 8 XLR input recorder in anywhere near the F8 price point!

Instead it is much more likely a 633 mk2 ("644"??) or similar will be announced, and it will be at around the price of a 633 (or even higher). 

What I believe/hope however is that this year Tascam will release their response to Zoom's F4/F8 attack....   (& soon! Otherwise I will just given in and buy a Zoom F4, or maybe an F8)

Saramonic SR-VRM1 has phantom power:

https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-SR-VRM1-Digital-Recorder-Microphones/dp/B01M6V955P/

Unfortunately it lacks the safety track recording feature of the Tascam DR10X. 

I want to get one of these, but it is tricky, as neither has both of the features I want! (phantom power + safety track recording)

Soooo.... like a Sound Devices 552? But with two less inputs.

Hahaha! Best suggestion yet!

Re Saramonic VRM1. At $125 it's so cheap it's hard to believe it'll be up to much but worth a punt perhaps. Unfortunately it works out to be $250 by the time it gets to the UK - so maybe not such a good punt (the vendor is not UK based either). I agree about a safety track, especially for set and leave situations, but could use the Hp O/P to couple the recorder with a radio mic :-), to send a 'normal' level and record safety on Saramonic. How bad is the Saramonic kit? It's weird how some of their boxes and battery sledges are the same as some Sony kit. But not as weird as no 1 else doing a p48 plug-on recorder (preferably with a unbalanced stereo line i/p option).

Oh yes another thing. I want the idea I sent to K-tek a few years ago to happen: 

A real rigid waistbelt where, instead of strapping the bag with carabiners or the likes, you HANG the bag on with Babybjörn like pegs. That would greatly increase speed in mounting and unmounting the bag when on a waistbelt. Maybe there are some physic law limitations, but imagine a rigid enough waistbelt to hold a full bag of gear with a simple hang on construction instead of having to muck about with your carabiners and straps. I dunno. I'd love that. 

On 1/25/2017 at 11:10 AM, daniel said:

It's weird how some of their boxes and battery sledges are the same as some Sony kit.

It is not exactly the same, but very very similar, I would take a wild guess and think maybe they got their hands on the production molds from an older Sony prototype design?!

On 1/26/2017 at 2:53 AM, Jose Frias said:

Would also love a small digital recorder with timecode, 4 microphone inputs, input linking, and 1st order ambisonic (A- and B-format) decoder.

A Zoom F4 would do the trick for you?

I would like a software update for the SD 633 to be able to overdub. Id love to be able to use it like the old portastudio cassette decks where you recorded tracks, overdubbed and bounced down. Im sure its goto be possible and might even get more over the units sold...not that Sound deveices really need any help. This is my wish for my forgotten musical career. 

On January 25, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Jose Frias said:

Still asking for a light, compact, DC powered, dante enabled, 16-fader (with banks) digital mixer for cart use.

^^^THIS...only I still like analog mixers for some reason. 16 input analog mixer with dante out. It'd probably ridiculously expensive, though, which is why I bet nobody does it. 

A control surface dongle with beta-connection. So that the XLRs and wireless can be on your back, with the faders/trims with display, plus antenna on a relatively small plate in front of you. A "break-out box" for 633/688.

Oh... and if you want to get ignorant... Cedar DNS built into SD 6XX... (this idea actually scares me a bit, but I'm sure I'm not the first to think about it)

21 hours ago, MattinSTL said:

A control surface dongle with beta-connection. So that the XLRs and wireless can be on your back, with the faders/trims with display, plus antenna on a relatively small plate in front of you. A "break-out box" for 633/688.

Oh... and if you want to get ignorant... Cedar DNS built into SD 6XX... (this idea actually scares me a bit, but I'm sure I'm not the first to think about it)

Definitely not the only person to have thought about it. Not so much 2017 as 202x just to tie down the paperwork. How about using O/P 3/4 as an insert point in the meantime.

As a 633 user that does mainly documentary/non-scripted work. I'd like to have a 'video/hdmi in' on the mixer that you could use receive a wireless video signal from camera (with some of the available HDMI video transmitters) that you could use check the camera's frame from time to time on the 633's screen with just the push of a button.

Speaking of 633... Have polarity flip for all 3 pre amp channels instead of just channel 2.

Some form of phantom power for channels 4-6 (I understand the size issue though)

10 db more gain on channels 4-6 for more headroom

Easier access to take the CF card in and out while in a bag.