Equipment wishes for 2017

Glen Deakin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not exactly. different form factor (lighter). build in mixer (don't have to attach cl-B) and high resolution screen (compared to 788t). oh and 788t is so power hungry....

Ok, not exactly, but very similar. Too similar for SD to actually make it, I'd say.

Personally, as I have for the past few years, I am hoping for an bigger 7-series. Could be 8-series or venturing into the 10xx series, with more inputs, more tracks, larger screen, a full featured mix panel (faders and at least three rows of poti per channel - user assignable), and so on.

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 7:31 AM, PalmerT said:

That would be sweet. A recorder with AutoMix AND Cedar. 

That sounds orgasmic! 

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Lucas said:

As a 633 user that does mainly documentary/non-scripted work. I'd like to have a 'video/hdmi in' on the mixer that you could use receive a wireless video signal from camera (with some of the available HDMI video transmitters) that you could use check the camera's frame from time to time on the 633's screen with just the push of a button.

Ohhhh..... that too is an incredibly nifty idea!

I really would love for Nomad to get an Automix overhaul. It would really be nice to have a much more simplified Automix rather than one that has to be endlessly tweaked depending upon the environment you are in. This is where the Sound Devices 688 shines with Dugan in my opinion. With location mixing, I never have the time to setup auto mix with all the different parameters. It would be amazing to have an Automix that you can just turn on and get good results. 

12 hours ago, PalmerT said:

I really would love for Nomad to get an Automix overhaul. It would really be nice to have a much more simplified Automix rather than one that has to be endlessly tweaked depending upon the environment you are in. This is where the Sound Devices 688 shines with Dugan in my opinion. With location mixing, I never have the time to setup auto mix with all the different parameters. It would be amazing to have an Automix that you can just turn on and get good results. 

There are tweaks planned. Howy is just finishing up some cool new stuff first.

On 14/01/2017 at 11:03 PM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

SENNHEISER AGAIN!

A 'production recordist's' (or - 'useful') bass cut for the MKH 80-series. Fixed roll off as per the existing bass cut, and some kind of additional roll off, whether switched or variable like the schoeps cut 1/2.

Rycote Tac!t works for me- I've got them built into my header cables

On 15/01/2017 at 5:13 PM, RadoStefanov said:

I am talking about 1 aes42 that outputs 2 mics. I am not aware of anybody that makes one.

The MZD8000 will take 2 mics, although the connector is special order.  John Willett has (or had) one, there's a picture of it on page 2 here: http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/AES - Digital Microphones - AES42 and all that.pdf

On 15/01/2017 at 4:34 PM, RadoStefanov said:

As usual One unit Maxx2 with internal IE battery , 4 faders, 8 AES in, "different fader assignment" 3 dual wireless modules, 2 SD Cards - primary and mirror, wireless control module inside for use with tablets preferably through browser and not app.

Except for the wireless receivers, isn't that a Sonosax SX-R4+ ?

On 13/02/2017 at 5:03 PM, Brian Maier said:

It seems like a natural progression as processing power increases that the Cedar software would be included into future mixer/recorders.

I started wondering about that when Dugan appeared on the 688.  However I expect some licensing would be involved, could it be we buy 'plugins' for recorders in future??

I think that you are correct about plug-ins for future DSP-based file recorders.  And they will be on a subscription basis, as most post production software is now.  There might even be a DSP "tabula rasa" recorder along the lines of what Zax has done, where you pay or subscribe to access features latent in the machine or are allowed to download add-ons and upgrades, but that starts as an "empty" box that you add only the features you want (can afford)  to.

I would like a D (digital) version on the Deva . A lot of us are running wireless only systems and as a zaxcom wireless user i'v been using the aes outputs on my Qrx's for years.

A recorder with 2-4 analog inputs and 10-12 aes would be great, Something similar to the sound devices 970 but controller (fader board) compatible. 

3 minutes ago, Max Dumesnil said:

I would like a D (digital) version on the Deva . A lot of us are running wireless only systems and as a zaxcom wireless user i'v been using the aes outputs on my Qrx's for years.

A recorder with 2-4 analog inputs and 10-12 aes would be great, Something similar to the sound devices 970 but controller (fader board) compatible. 

Hi Max,

Deva 24 has 16 AES inputs with AES42 support. Not available yet, but NAB isn't far away.

17 minutes ago, Max Dumesnil said:

Hi, I'm well aware of the Deva 24 my point is I don't need 12 analog mic inputs and having 2-4 would make the machine cheaper and smaller.

; )

Hi Max,

Back in 2013, during IBC, I was asked from several manufacturers about the future in production sound. I said, in near future will be all digital (microphones and wireless) so the demand for digital inputs will be increased. Your wish about a high count of digital inputs recorder makes totally senses to me. A six analog in (for surround recordings) and twelve digital in (AES3 & AES42) recorder; will cover all the markets or they can split it to two models (one with analogue in and one without).

On 21/02/2017 at 9:47 AM, VAS said:

Hi Max,

Back in 2013, during IBC, I was asked from several manufacturers about the future in production sound. I said, in near future will be all digital (microphones and wireless) so the demand for digital inputs will be increased. Your wish about a high count of digital inputs recorder makes totally senses to me. A six analog in (for surround recordings) and twelve digital in (AES3 & AES42) recorder; will cover all the markets or they can split it to two models (one with analogue in and one without).

A lot of people have lots or radios with analog outs. You still need the analog in for a while, as long as Lectro and the rest don't have digital outs on the receivers. I for one could not afford to change all my radios and Octopack 

10 minutes ago, Manel said:

A lot of people have lots or radios with analog outs. You still need the analog in for a while, as long as Lectro and the rest don't have digital outs on the receivers. I for one could not afford to change all my radios and Octopack 

Not radios, but every single one of my microphones (40+?) is analogue out. I don't record production sound, but I do record stereo, multichannel stereo etc and positional multichannel. So, yes, please, long live analogue in too!

Jez

9 hours ago, Manel said:

Hi Manel,

That's why my suggestion is both analogue and digital. Today recorders cost to us around $800 per channel with phantom power in average. Will be a fair trade a digital-only-inputs-recorder with $200 per channel (16 AES - $3200); since the end-user use digital wireless.

20 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

What about a tiny tiny TX with fixed settings that only transmits say 2m distance. One could have the lav & tiny TX hide in the hair/behind the ear and the standard TX with the tiny RX mounted somewhere in the costume. 

I like this. A 'relay' system. If they can put a wifi TX in an SD card maybe the rest can fit the 'footprint'.