Lemo right-angle plugs

Constantin

Yesterday, I had a chat with Max from TentacleSync and he mentioned that Lemo is now offering right-angle Lemo plugs.

The orientation needs to be decided on at the time of purchase. TentacleSync want to offer this plug with their cables, and so Max asked me which orientation for the plug I would prefer. I have my opinion of course, but realized that this may not be the same for everyone else.

So, what does everyone think which orientation would be best?

I guess that this can't really be decided in general because of the different cameras.
I just had one made from Kortwich for the Alexa Mini, where the cable goes up (0°, looking on to the plugged-in connector), meaning the cable comes out where the small red dot and the little pin of the connector are. In my opinion that's the best solution for the mini.
On the big Alexa, a cable like this could be in the way of the connector above the TC (I guess RS). There I would suggest something like 270° or 315°, so that the cable would go to the left,when you look on the camera. Also the big Alexa doesn't really need a continuous TC in.
For the Red Epic etc. I wouldn't choose a right-angle version. In any direction it would be in the way of something else.
For my 744T I have one at 135°, for the 788T at 180°...
I don't know if there is a general sollution.

I thought that with these new Anglissimo Lemos the user could change the angle themselves depending on use....  

Yes, I think so, but only when you are making the cable. Once everything's been soldered, you can't change it anymore - I think.

I guess that this can't really be decided in general because of the different cameras.

I was more hoping for ideas regarding the recorder end, not so much the camera end, but I guess this is useful, too.

Constantin, my friend, hope you are well! Feels like AGES since we met, but it is just about a year or so. 

I have no idea since i have still not used these connectors.

I just feel that you should go through the LEMO docs and it will give you a much better idea. 

Yet, if you want me to - i will ask my local Indian LEMO rep, who is a SUPERB person for more info on this. At some point of time i too will need this information. 

warmest regards

-vin

On 20 January 2017 at 6:40 PM, Constantin said:

Yes, I think so, but only when you are making the cable. Once everything's been soldered, you can't change it anymore - I think.

I was more hoping for ideas regarding the recorder end, not so much the camera end, but I guess this is useful, too.

When describing the cable orientation it is much easier to use the clock system. Straight up being 12 o'clock, straight down being 6 etc. I can't think of one cable technician in the Uk who doesn't use this system.

Constantin, my friend, hope you are well! Feels like AGES since we met, but it is just about a year or so. 

I have no idea since i have still not used these connectors.

I just feel that you should go through the LEMO docs and it will give you a much better idea. 

Yet, if you want me to - i will ask my local Indian LEMO rep, who is a SUPERB person for more info on this. At some point of time i too will need this information. 

warmest regards

-vin

Hi Vin, yes, it does feel like a long time, you should visit again!

You are right, I could go through the docs and all, but this discussion here was meant as an extension of the discussion I had with Max at TentacleSync. They are interested in what everyone's personal preference would be. I know there isn't one for all, but maybe there could be a most common orientation for the plug?

I am a Sound Devices 6xx user and i'd love to have one with the cable exiting at 3 (12 being where the red dot is). Can't speak for others recorders though.

I also own a couple tentacle and bought a right angle lemo for the alexa mini on the tentacle website. The cable is the exiting at 12. I did one film with it and the dop was a bit rough with the equipment and broke two of my cables. He took the battery off the fixing bars so he could get closer to the wall in a tight space. When the battery isn't there anymore it leaves the cable unprotected and if you apply a bit of pressure on the exiting cable it brakes the part that slides into the body of the plug. I had to tape it to finish the film and it kept working but it wasn't optimal... I am just saying this plug is great but you have to be a bit careful with the angle part.