788T "Tinny Sound"

Doc Justice

Hey everybody.  I've been a daily visitor of this board for a long time now, but haven't contributed to any of the discussions until now.  I've encountered a problem that I couldn't find any way around, so I'm looking to the community for some suggestions.

I recently updated a 788t to 1.60 to use with a CL-8.  After doing so, the audio going to camera, ifb, and my headphones sporadically became mutilated.  I tried reinstalling the firmware, disconnecting the CL-8, everything I could think of.  Then I found this on Sound Devices' website:

---------------

Known Issues

An intermittent condition can occur where audio at the headphone output and audio at an analog output are characterized at "tinny" at playback and monitoring. The recorded audio is not affected. The condition can be cleared by power cycling an input by turning its trim pot off then on.

---------------

The problem seems to only happen after a few start & stops in recording.  Turning the trim pot off then on during a take is not exactly an option.  I found myself completely restarting the unit in between takes to try to avoid it, but that's not a solution either.

How has this been a known issue since November and there has been no fix yet?  Have any of you other 788 users experienced this?

Hello everybody . I have been in same situation while shooting in 2008 , and i solved same way , turned channels off and on gently . It also happens to me ,when i open more than one channel at the same time or following one after another quickly , and it's still happening !