600 MHZ Auction moving forward

Wandering Ear

Looks like round 4 will be the final round for the incentive auction.    From Tom Wheeler:

"We will repurpose 70 MHz of high-value, completely clear low-band spectrum for mobile broadband on a nationwide basis. On top of that, 14 MHz of new unlicensed spectrum – the test bed for wireless innovation – will be available for consumer devices and new services."

I'm not sure exactly what he is referring to when he says "the test bed for wireless innovation", and a lot of details are still to be released, but at least is a noticeably smaller amount than the original clearing target.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Well I guess this is good news for overseas people who can still use these blocks? As I'd guess used prices when buying from the  USA for those blocks will plummet in price.

Yes.  The used prices for units in those blocks did drop and some overseas folks got some good deals (from me anyhow).

29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, & now there is a particular date in place they should drop even lower than before? & even lower again in 3 &  bit years once that date has passed?

I don't know.  As the Lectro folks say on their site, you can still expect to use those blocks legally for a few years yet, but if they are older wirelesses anyway then they'll be worth not a whole lot by that time.  Recent lectro stuff ( >7 years) can be refreqed if you want. 

I wonder how that 614-616mhz buffer is going to behave once things are implemented.  Would be nice to keep my block 24 SRb as 2mhz *should* be fine for 2 mics (assuming no one else is using those channels).  Since I already own the SRb, would be nice to keep it as a "backup" or at least for use on a show where I needed 2 extra channels of wireless since I already own the gear...