Hawkwoods NP1 cup and Sound Devices 788t

Mobilemike

Hey all - 

I went into my local dealer today intending to order a Hawkwoods NP1 cup to use with my Sonosax mixer and Sound Devices 788t. When I mentioned that I was going to use it with the Sound Devices, the sales rep said that he had heard of some issues with the Hawkwoods cups and the SD 788t - that somehow the Hawkwoods wasn't compatible with Sound Devices. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this or experience either way?

Thanks!

-Mike

if you have a Hawkwoods shoe with a trailing cable, use the trailing cable to power the 788. if you have a shoe with regulated outputs, they dont like the high current draw and will cut out after a few minutes once the internal fuse trips out.

i have used the NP-U and NP-R shoes with no issues like that.

16 hours ago, Steve Foy said:

I've used one for years and they are great, however you need to mod the output fuse that supplies the 788T in order to take the extra load when you are simultaneously powering/charging the 788T.

Ah, thanks everyone that makes sense. So it's just that it's possible for the 788t to trip the internal fuses because it can consume too much current. 

Steve, how would you mod the fuses? It is something that you can just switch to a fuse of a higher value? Or remove it entirely?

Thanks all!

-Mike

8 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

Ah, thanks everyone that makes sense. So it's just that it's possible for the 788t to trip the internal fuses because it can consume too much current. 

Steve, how would you mod the fuses? It is something that you can just switch to a fuse of a higher value? Or remove it entirely?

Thanks all!

-Mike

Correct Mike, the 788T (with charge function on) draws more current than the fuse allows so it needs to be replaced with one of a higher value. I had my mod done by the Tech at John Barry's so I'm not sure what the value of the new fuse is.

I would definitely not remove the fuse completely, they are there for a reason, and also bear in mind there are current draw limits on whatever Battery you use.

Cheers,

Steve