bary555

Hi Bary,

Tentacle has no RF capabilities.

Ambient and Timecode Systems; for me it's ideal for every type of work. From 3D to DSLR to GoPro (SyncBac Pro). I haven't heard a bad thing for BETSO which means something. If you have a Sound Devices 6 Series recorder; Ambient & Timecode Systems is way to go (for me).

One thing I don't like about Ambient; is the small display, but this is a personal.

Genlock, Word Clock and RF capabilities are important for advanced and non advanced productions.

If you are already invested in Zaxcom, then yes, that would make a lot of sense. If not, it'd be a very expensive solution just for getting TC.

Unless you need the metadata exchange, what purpose is there for wireless TC? All the proper TC boxes only lose 1/2 - 1 Frame per 24h, so should be plenty stable

16 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

I use zaxcom ERX's and love the work flow.

The great thing about the ERX is it can be also be used to send a scratch track and the same receiver can be used for audio monitoring. Plus the transmitter has a two channel timecoded recorder - which makes a great backup recorder in your bag.

+1 

I use use a Zaxcom Camera Link (CL900) system. I use QRX100IFB on camera But do use ERXs when I can't power a reciever off of camera. Works great!

yes, zaxcom is my plan for future. hopefully i might buy a nomad some day (now using 633), so i could take advantage of whole zaxnet goodness, but for now even the zaxcoms tc/scratch track solution is way out of my budget. i'm leaning towards new betsos. i like the small format and the display. had some problems with ambients wireless few times (didn't work from sd788t to red epic, we used external tc generator to feed sd and ambients and that worked - still don't know why...too low sd tc signal?). tentacle seems nice because no worries about the range - only if keeps low/no drift in a longer period...and low price of course:)

had some problems with ambients wireless few times (didn't work from sd788t to red epic, we used external tc generator to feed sd and ambients and that worked - still don't know why...too low sd tc signal?). tentacle seems nice because no worries about the range - only if keeps low/no drift in a longer period...and low price of course:)

Not sure exactly what your last sentence means? But if you're worried about drift with a Tentacle, don't be. And you can use your smartphone as a display.
What exactly do you need the wireless capabilities for?

Curious about the Ambient gear not working with thr 788T, those two are best TC buddies and if they don't work, either something is really wrong or a user made an error...

4 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

Wireless is nice but it's still good to have some interaction with camera department once and a while to rejam. 

3 hours ago, millar said:

I use three Denecke SB4's. Great tc boxes, nice and small and run a full day + on a pair of rechargeable AAA. Plus, the customer service at Denecke is really great!

Hello, But are you still rejamming at lunch with your chosen tc device?

• 2 months later...

One thing I don't like about the tentacle is it's build-in battery. I always like to be able to switch batteries... AA's or AAA's are available around the globe, so if the Sh%$T hits the fan, just buy a pack around the corner.. I still use my Tri-Level red Ambient lockit. But I rarely used the tri level part... For me the next buy will be the Betso's.

6 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I hear you. But what if a 15 minutes charge would give you 4-5hrs of operation and 30 mins a long day? And optional wireless? Just asking...

Many productions would think nothing of sending a PA after batteries, but would be quite irritable at the suggestion of allowing sound fifteen minutes to charge a battery.

I totally get the point - which is why we have been building all our units with changable battery supply. Still, half of the Lockit and TinyLockit is the batteries, in fact. 2 AAAs or 1-2 AAs plus battery door and springs simply eat up a lot of space and camera want small boxes -if at all.

Lastly, based on my last 2 years's experience assisting on camera test day to set up the ACN/Lockit network, productions try to safe money on all ends and really urge to use rechargeables and/or external power.

I just always have three fully charged Tentacles with me at all times. That's at least 100 hours of usage. How could I ever run out?

You might also argue that it sucks that your 7-series recorder doesn't accept AA batteries, since they are readily available. It's not a problem even if you are only half-decently prepared