bary555

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone enlighten me why / when / what situations going over midnight will cause a problem?

If all is well, the user bits contain the date, so there should be no issues.

(Yes, that's theory. And as we all know, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice however...)

Bouke

Can someone enlighten me why / when / what situations going over midnight will cause a problem?

It won't cause a problem. But if you use autosync, all files created after midnight will appear in your timeline before the files recorded earlier. No big deal, but it's also no big deal for me to change the clock.
Also, since I change the clock of my recorder (and TC follows that), the recorder won't create a new folder for the new day

5 hours ago, Bouke said:

If all is well, the user bits contain the date, so there should be no issues.

(Yes, that's theory. And as we all know, in theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice however...)

Bouke

Typically, though dependent on the specific recorder you're using, user bits don't automatically change at midnight. But when using TOD timecode, the timecode will reset to 00:00:00:00 at midnight. This will lead to takes done past midnight to have earlier timecode then takes done before midnight, and when organizing files in an NLE by timecode, it can lead to confusion.

Having done some post supervision now, I can tell you that it is generally good practice to do TOD minus 12 when doing overnight shoots.