Cantar X3 Mini

Derek H

It will always be more of a challenge to bag a Cantar that a regular box shaped recorder. It calls for imagination but you can do it. With the X3, I was always aware that the 'unibody' structure of the recorder was totally solid. At the design stage, I had them beef up the connection assembly on the front and fit 2 x 3/8" fixings. As the X3 has strap posts on the back that you can use to either fit a strap or attach to a harness, you can then attach accessories such as a radio mic rack to the front fixings so the bag itself is not holding the weight. The weight is on the strap and the accessories are attached directly to the X3. I started with my X3 in my old X2 bag - a conventional bag - but as it was not designed for the X3 it did not have all the access I needed. I now use the Aaton bag with a slight modification so that it fits around a 6-Pack which is mounted on a friction hinge on the front of the X3. The bag is protection and provides padding between me and the recorder. It is not as structural as a conventional bag as it only takes the weight of a few accessories such as a keyboard and IEM transmitters. A bag for the X3 Mini can be approached in the same way as it is also an X3 but smaller. It has the same strap posts and it has (4mm) fixings on the sides that accessories can be secured to. I have seen the Aaton bag ideas for the X3 Mini and when it comes out I will be integrating Mini with receivers and bag. 

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2109.MOV

I don't see hardware trim's for analog inputs. I guess via rotary or menu. Not a problem with TA3 connectors.
I see it as sound cart recorder; not for bag.

I hope X3 users will get a good discount for CantarMini, if they will choose to buy one. Like X2 users for X3 which was around 5.000€ discount (10.000€ for X3).

I hope X3 users will get a good discount for CantarMini, if they will choose to buy one. Like X2 users for X3 which was around 5.000€ discount (10.000€ for X3).

X2 - X3 was an upgrade/update, the Mini is just a new recorder, so why should they discount it for existing owners? They can go on using their X3.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

X2 - X3 was an upgrade/update, the Mini is just a new recorder, so why should they discount it for existing owners? They can go on using their X3.

Promoting CantarMini through end users. Isn't something new. And good faith, also. Isn't something little to promote your product when someone used it in top league and challenge production. Just like other products advertised though series or shows (aka black advertising).

9 hours ago, TJW said:

It will always be more of a challenge to bag a Cantar that a regular box shaped recorder. It calls for imagination but you can do it. With the X3, I was always aware that the 'unibody' structure of the recorder was totally solid. At the design stage, I had them beef up the connection assembly on the front and fit 2 x 3/8" fixings. As the X3 has strap posts on the back that you can use to either fit a strap or attach to a harness, you can then attach accessories such as a radio mic rack to the front fixings so the bag itself is not holding the weight. The weight is on the strap and the accessories are attached directly to the X3. I started with my X3 in my old X2 bag - a conventional bag - but as it was not designed for the X3 it did not have all the access I needed. I now use the Aaton bag with a slight modification so that it fits around a 6-Pack which is mounted on a friction hinge on the front of the X3. The bag is protection and provides padding between me and the recorder. It is not as structural as a conventional bag as it only takes the weight of a few accessories such as a keyboard and IEM transmitters. A bag for the X3 Mini can be approached in the same way as it is also an X3 but smaller. It has the same strap posts and it has (4mm) fixings on the sides that accessories can be secured to. I have seen the Aaton bag ideas for the X3 Mini and when it comes out I will be integrating Mini with receivers and bag. 

IMG_2109.MOV

Very clever idea with the friction hinge. Could you provide more information about the hardware? Maybe a link to the hinge you used?

It is a custom made hinge and I have the only one at the moment. I have sent the hinge and the drawings to an engineer who can make a small batch. If it can be done at a reasonable price, I will make it available. I will have a one off to look at on Monday and I will keep you in the loop if it is viable. I have attached a few pics of the friction hinge mounted 6-pack with the Aaton bag. I have added a small accessory pouch and extended a strap around the whole thing so it is firmly in place using it over the shoulder. 

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

• 4 months later...

I find the weird combo of analog ins and digital ins confusing. 

I'd think if you have 10 faders, there ought to be a way of getting 10 digital or 10 analog inputs into the machine. 

I still think if I was doing a "road" movie, I'd have this for insert/process cars. 6 analog is enough really. 

Can't wait to see one in real life. 

23 hours ago, RPSharman said:

I find the weird combo of analog ins and digital ins confusing. 

I'd think if you have 10 faders, there ought to be a way of getting 10 digital or 10 analog inputs into the machine. 

I still think if I was doing a "road" movie, I'd have this for insert/process cars. 6 analog is enough really. 

Can't wait to see one in real life. 

Might have to do with the mini being literally a cut down version of the X3, which has two analog in circuit boards, of 6 inputs each.

Hence the mini has one analog in circuit board of 6 analog ins, and then to further save new development costs retains the 10 fader control.

It's most likely more cost effective to retain existing designs and save the cost of manufacturing new parts.

Does that sound likely?

N.B. I've tested Zaxcom AES out from QRX200's and the SRC of the X3 copes fine, with the Zaxcom weird choice of either 32k or 96k AES output.

• 3 months later...
On 2.6.2017 at 6:15 PM, brandomosca said:

10 faders:6 for the analog inputs,4 for the digital inputs and you can use the fader also to change the gain.

16 tracks:10 for the physical inputs,6 for mix,eq.tracks,playback-re recording tracks,noise reductions tracks ecc..

Ok, but how do get to the noise reduction and back into the recorder if you are already using all inputs?

10 inputs is only 2 more than I have now, so for me this is not really worth it - although I was considering it (hence me bringing back this topic)

• 2 months later...

30% off the Cantar X3 Mini , but only for Black Friday:

https://www.aaton.com/page/black-friday

Black Friday - Exclusive web offer

Terms and Conditions:
Black Friday Promotional offers are only valid on aaton.com
Cannot be combined with any other previous offer.
Cannot be applied to previously purchased merchandise.
Limit of one per customer. 
Offer valid from Friday 24 November 00:00 to Sunday 26 November 24:00 CEST (Paris) as long as supplies available.

Thank you for the warm welcome of our Black Friday promotion,
Seing the incredible quantity of requests received, we have decided to remove the limitation to 5 Cantar Mini and to modify slightly the rules
Until Saturday 6:00pm CEST time -30%
From Saturday 6:00pm to Sunday 6:00am CEST time -25%
From Sunday 6:00am to Sunday 6:00pm CEST time -20%
From Sunday 6:00pm to Sunday midnight CEST time -15%

The order is confirmed after receipt of the payment of the product.
Delivery before the end of the year

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, TimP said:

Is the decoder specifically designed for the Ambeo mic? Or is any brand ambisonics mic usable. Tried the Ambeo software with sps200 recordings, and wasn’t to happy with the result. (vs. soundfield’s own surroundzone software)

Because need a different equalization, and this equalization is related to the distance of the capsule membrane to the center of the tetrahedron.

13 hours ago, rochechinard said:

Hi, I was at AATON last Wednesday , and had a demo of the AMBEO decoder in the X3, you can record you're A format on 4 tracks and you're decoded B format on 4 other track.

I'm not sure if is good, because the main request is get a correct monitoring on the field. Just pass from A to B is easily converted in post production. I want to heard about the mini, probably I'll buy one if have ambisonic A monitoring (SPS200)

19 hours ago, ramallo said:

Because need a different equalization, and this equalization is related to the distance of the capsule membrane to the center of the tetrahedron.

I'm not sure if is good, because the main request is get a correct monitoring on the field. Just pass from A to B is easily converted in post production. I want to heard about the mini, probably I'll buy one if have ambisonic A monitoring (SPS200)

I guess best thing is to ask them, I'm sure you'll get an answer.

• 1 month later...
Aaton at NAB:

"Wysicom[sic] will exhibit the Aaton-Digital CantarMini digital 16 track sound recorder on a new lightweight support compatible with Wisycom’s receivers, giving direct access to the user interface of the receiver from the Cantar allowing set-up of options or channel frequencies. (Wisycom booth C856)

Sennheiser will promote the integration of AMBEO® technology in the Aaton-Digital Cantar family with A-B conversion, an immersive audio system offering real possibilities for VR, animation, wild life and sound design. The CantarX3 digital 24 track location recorder includes the possibility to use 2 Ambeo microphones at the same time. An Aaton-Digital CantarX3 will be shown with double AMBEO integration. (Sennheiser booth C1307)

Aaton-Digital has announced that from now on, the CantarX3 and the CantarMini will be delivered with Sennheiser AMBEO compatibility as standard."