Mini Papi in the house

Philip Perkins

You folks may already know this, but the Mozegear MiniPapi is out.  They have fixed the issues with the earlier (proto) versions that were circulating--this one sounds quite good, powers mics just fine and has a very usable continuous low rolloff filter, limiter, pad and gain control with an LED ladder meter.  I'm going to make a camera-type power cable so I can hand it off to those folks determined to go doco-camera-mic with Alexa Mini....

moze.jpg

Just ordered DTap to Hirose cables and TA3F to (cough) Alexa Mini mini-Lemo cables....pricey stuff.  My local rental house peeps say the Alexa Mini is on fire as a rental right now, so here we go.

Tell me again why the Alexa Mini has to have such a uniquely weird audio connector?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my cables together and took the MINI PAPI down to Chater Camera today.  It worked very well—powered it off the camera’s DTap, TA3F to mini 5p Lemo in for audio.  The file I’ve attached was lifted from the Alexa Mini video file we recorded.  I plugged an old Oktava MC012 (w/ no mic rolloff or pad) directly into the PAPI (one thing to mount instead of two), p48 mic power, limiter on, -20 pad engaged, Papi rolloff at about 1 o’clock, gain so about half the LEDs were lit in normal conversation.   We talked close and far in a pretty live room, clapped, did a “jangling key” test.  We were all impressed, ie problem solved!  Not the world's most hifi preamp, but plenty good enough for a scratch track for the Alexa Mini.  This was just a test and not a real job (or with the camera on a gimble), but I'm looking forward to trying it in a live-fire situation now. 

phil_PAPI_2_8.wav

Not on the one Mozegear sent me.  I think a version w/ battery is being considered for obvious reasons, this version was really targeted at camera mounting on the  Alexa Mini, where Dtap power is almost always avail.  One could also free-lance an external battery pack for the thing, but the idea here was to make it as camera-friendly (small and light) as possible.

• 6 years later...