New Zaxcom small transmitter - ZMT

enginufuk

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip, the various modulations and ZHD (Zaxcom High Density) has been out for awhile. The new mini transmitter will do all the modulations. From the Zaxcom website - explanation of ZHD:

ZHD is Zaxcom’s High Density modulation mode that will allow up to ten channels of wireless to be operated in just one MHz of spectrum space. ZHD is standard in the ZMT3, TRXLT3, TRXLA3, TRXFB3 and TRX743.

ZMT3 Miniature Transmitter

ZHD Key Features:

A single 6 MHz American television channel can contain up to sixty channels of ZHD wireless when used with a QRX300 receiver spaced 100 kHz
The wireless signal is only 48 KHz wide and frequencies can be spaced as close as 100 kHz apart
RF transmitter power is adjustable up to 100 mW on TRXLA3 & TRX743
Incredible transmission distance due to ZHD’s highly efficient modulation
Transmitters are available as 3.5 (518 – 614 MHz) and 3.6 (596 – 698 MHz)
TRXLT3, TRXLA3 and TRX743 transmitters are capable of running either ZHD modulation or any existing mono modulations so they maintain compatibility with all Zaxcom receivers. ZHD modulation mode conforms to all currently proposed FCC regulations for spectrally efficient wireless transmission.

ZHD96 modulation works in single or dual mode on all current QRX200 series receivers.
ZHD48 modulation works in single mode only with the QRX300 receiver.

Frequency spacing:

ZHD modulation with QRX300 – 10 frequencies per MHz – 60 per TV channel
ZHD modulation with QRX200, QRX235, RX200, QRX212 – 5 frequencies per MHz – 30 per TV channel
Current XR modulation with QRX200, QRX235, RX200, QRX212 – roughly 2.5 per MHz – 15 per TV channel

We are using the ZHD and it is phenomenal (actually why we decided to approach Zaxcom about making this video in the first place). You'll also find that the ZMT actually has an even cleaner noise floor, by about 5-6 dB...

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT FROM TEAM ZAXCOM: DEFENDERS OF THE AIRWAVES! This new wireless is crazy go nuts.

We at Silver Sound Studios are so damn proud to have produced this video for Zaxcom. Big ups to director Alexander Engel, composer Alexander Juhan, cinematographer Fletcher Wolfe, VFX maven Mark Reynolds, and co-producer Catherine Corcoran.

Glenn Sanders, actor of the year, Colleen Goodsir, badass of the year... Thank you so much for letting us join.... TEAM ZAXCOM for this release!

I'm a bit confused about how many transmitters per receiver (QRX300) you can have using ZHD.  It seems that even though it's a "4 channel receiver" that you can only receive 1 transmitter per receiver but with the 200 series you can use 2?

Edit: Seems like a new image showing the size of the ZMT3 has appeared on Zaxcom's site.

ZMT3_wQuarter-1920_1080.png

29 minutes ago, codyman said:

I'm a bit confused about how many transmitters per receiver (QRX300) you can have using ZHD.  It seems that even though it's a "4 channel receiver" that you can only receive 1 transmitter per receiver but with the 200 series you can use 2?

Edit: Seems like a new image showing the size of the ZMT3 has appeared on Zaxcom's site.

ZMT3_wQuarter-1920_1080.png

The 300 series is a single receiver and isn't the recommended receiver for most of us. Zaxcom recommends staying with the 200 series receivers for most film and TV mixers.

They should have chose another name other than QRX300. Since it's a higher number people will just assume it's the one they want. 

Reminds me of the faders on the Maxx that go to '11'... I mean that's why I bought one.  It goes one louder. ;)

The new transmitter looks great. It also looks just like an SSM. Just a fact. I guess that Fuji battery must really be the right stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Jose Frias said:

Correct. Fuji NP50 batteries (same as Lectro SSM).

Just a word of caution. The NP50 is a very common battery and can be purchased from may source including brick and mortar camera and electronic stores and assorted online sources. Being a common battery makes the np50 a prime target for counterfeit and off brand batteries. Those batteries won't deliver the best runtime performance - so be careful where you source your batteries from.

It's always best to purchase them from a reputable source, your friendly audio dealer should be able to assist. Please don't go for the cheep knockoffs because you do get what you pay for.

19 hours ago, cory said:

We are using the ZHD and it is phenomenal (actually why we decided to approach Zaxcom about making this video in the first place). You'll also find that the ZMT actually has an even cleaner noise floor, by about 5-6 dB

I'm curious if anyone that has tested these can attribute to the lower noise floor and how noticeable it is? I would be interested in one for quiet speakers with interview setups. 

I'm curious if anyone that has tested these can attribute to the lower noise floor and how noticeable it is? I would be interested in one for quiet speakers with interview setups. 

William Sarokin posted on Facebook that he's been using them for a while and thought they sounded even better than his LA transmitters.