• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Simon Hayes said:

Hi Glenn,

Which is Zaxcoms preffered DPA for your products-

or

Thanks

Simon

I (coincidently) have just been working through this issue as I'm finally switching the majority of my COS 11s to DPA. Since I had no reference, I asked some heavy DPA users which model they had gone with and it sounded like 4061 was the general consensus, although the 4063 seemed to work just as well. However, when received the 4061s I was pretty surprised at the necessary gain/ tx noise floor with the trx la2. I then tried the 4060s that are labeled as high sensitivity and these seemed more appropriate for the large majority of dialogue recording. I used the 4060s on a shoot were it was requested and necessary to have the mics visible and pretty close to the mouth and even with loud projection (laughs, coughs, etc) they did not peak at the mic/tx stage. So, I'm curious if others are using the 4060s as well, or maybe the difference is too minor for many to care, or notice. Thoughts?

There seems to be some misunderstanding about “red band” lavs.

A “red band” lav is one that is designed to be less sensitive than the standard, full-sensitivity version — typically, by about 10dB.

The DPA 4063 is a “red band” lav.  Other than the bias voltage, it has the same sensitivity and specs as the “red band” DPA 4061.

The 4063 requires a lower bias voltage, therefore making it more ideally suited for use with the lower voltage supplied by Zaxcom transmitters.  

Some confusion enters because the 4063 uses a yellow tag to differentiate it from a 4061 that uses a red tag.  When people refer to a “red band” lav, they are addressing the fact that it is a lower sensitivity mic, and not simply geeking out about the color of a label.

Maybe this will help a bit:  

mic            sensitivity
———————————————————————————————————————
DPA 4060   20 mV/Pa; -34 dB re. 1 V/Pa
DPA 4061    6 mV/Pa; -44 dB re. 1 V/Pa
DPA 4063    6 mV/Pa; -44 dB re. 1 V/Pa
DPA 4062    1 mV/Pa; -60 dB re. 1 V/Pa

If a lav has lower sensitivity, then it generates a lower output, therefore requiring more gain in the transmitter.  That additional gain also brings the noise level up along with the signal.

However, many of us are using 4063 lavs coupled with Zaxcom transmitters with great success, and noise hasn’t been an issue.

Further muddying this discussion is comparing the noise when using a 4063 to that when using a Sanken COS-11D.  The two mics have different sensitivities, making this an apples and oranges comparison.

And naturally:  “Your mileage may vary,” “plus tax and your old tire,” "some settling may occur," “void where prohibited by law,” and “results are typical but not guaranteed.”

On 4/11/2017 at 6:15 AM, VAS said:

I will throw out Lectrosonics from this test, because Lectrosonics use SmartNR.

First and second example; have high noise, even when microphone isn't plugged to transmitter.

1. Check the output type from the receiver (line or AES) and double check Nomad input setting. Remove everything (HPF, Limiters etc)
2. Check the output level from the receiver.
3. Check transmitter dynamics settings (set all parameters to low - you can't turn them off).

Thank you, VAS! #3, changing the dynamics settings did the trick! Now, as expected, the ZMT3 and DPA4063 make a beautiful sounding couple! Very happy! Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

On 4/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, VAS said:

Out of curiosity: Did the Zaxcom ZMT3 comes with the lowest dynamics settings from manufacturer?

Not sure about the original settings. It's possible that they were and during my zest to go through all the menus I might have inadvertently changed them.

On 4/19/2017 at 6:22 AM, E.Rueff said:

What is now your dynamic setting ?

My memory is that I ended up only changing two or three settings but can't remember now which they were. I'm fairly certain one was the attack. I'm open to suggestions but I am at currently at the following settings:

Parms Speed:Fastest, Parms Attack:Fastest (Fairly Certain I changed this up from Normal or Fast), CMP Ratio 4.0:1, CMP Thresh -9db, CMP Knee 1db, EXP Ratio 1:1.10, EXP Thresh -70db, Dynamics Parms Reduce -3db, Dynamics Parms Gain 0db

1 hour ago, cameronlenart said:

Just got a ZMT, is anyone making accessories yet? A belt/bra clip would be nice:)

I made these up for bra straps. 

Well they were actually made up for SMa transmitters but as there is very little difference in size they work fine. The holes in it are from being stapled to costume.

I believe Sound Guys Solutions have just come out with a clip. Not sure if it's available yet.

IMG_1418.JPG

Yes sound guy solutions has a very nice belt clip available. 

I couldn't find it on SGS or ProSounds websites. Do you know where I can purchase it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I couldn't find it on SGS or ProSounds websites. Do you know where I can purchase it?

DFI

On 5/4/2017 at 2:11 PM, Gene Martin said:

These will be shipping in 1 to 2 weeks.  Allows for the antenna to be in the up and up or down position.  Available at any Sound Guys Dealer, Retail $28

IMG_1638.JPG

This is JUST RIGHT, Gene. I love it!

Relative to placing the ZMT's, today I used Topstick Roll from Manhattan Wardrobe Supply:

https://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/topstick-roll

Stuck it to the lady's shirt just behind her arm (out of arm-swinging range) and and below the bottom of her bra. Stayed put during skating scene. Excess cable in the bra. Used the original/prototype Sound Guys Solutions 90-degrees-to-the-pole mount stripped of the pole mount piece (belt clip guts) which has a flat side to which double-sided adhesive may be applied without potentially pulling out the battery door open or pulling off the button cover. 

Same mount to plant two 4098's for two talkers shouting through the heavily-glassed front door to an urban apartment building inside an exceedingly-small marbled foyer <--> long, narrow marble hall. No boom on the far side of glass. No fuss. I think sounded just right, catching the sound of the reverbed determination from the page --> performance. Begin with an inch of 1/2" Joe's Sticky to rough it in and hold it in place until the 'H' paper tape was quickly done; I worried not that the tape job might fail.

• 1 month later...
On 06/05/2017 at 4:07 PM, Jan McL said:

This is JUST RIGHT, Gene. I love it!

On 05/05/2017 at 6:11 AM, Gene Martin said:

These will be shipping in 1 to 2 weeks.  Allows for the antenna to be in the up and up or down position.  Available at any Sound Guys Dealer, Retail $28

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

Gene, do you have a distributor in UK that might have these?