Rodelink power solution

Apcki

So I noticed that the Rodelink wireless system has an option to power the unit through a micro usb cable instead of batteries. I've got a BDS system but unfortunately no one (including Rode) sells a micro usb to barrel DC cable. Anyone have any success making one? I tried but can't seem to get a working one.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:30 AM, Apcki said:

@codyman I did notice that, but was going to see if I could find a cheaper solution first. I picked up a switchcraft 761k barrel plug, which I hope will do it. I do see myself just buying that cable in the end if I can't figure this out though, lol.

The issue is not so much that you'll need the right connectors as you need the right voltage. USB is 5VDC, where the outputs of your BDS are (likely) 11-16VDC depending on the charge of your batteries. 

The issue is not so much that you'll need the right connectors as you need the right voltage. USB is 5VDC, where the outputs of your BDS are (likely) 11-16VDC depending on the charge of your batteries. 

Remote Audio has a BDS with a regulated 5V USB output, and I'm sure others do, too.
In fact, most of the outputs from (commercial) BDSs are regulated

I used to have a lot of issues with noise/hum powering my Røde links externally, until I (with help from Røde's excellent support) realized that I couldn't power my SQN 4s mixer via barrel DC->Hirose and use the same powerbank's USB output as that resulted in some kind of ground loop. Now I power my Røde links from small USB emergency chargers, which works very nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Joon, you seem to be right. I was finally able to wire something that worked, used a 12v to 5v converter to get the power to the right voltage, but I am getting a ground loop when using the battery as well. I'll have to try the small charger to see if that works.