Pluraleyes Good or..not?

TommygunZA

The G2-3 RX come with some hardware that makes it very easy to mount them to camera-shoes, if you use AA rechargables they are very light, they are small, and they are cheap enough that it won't be a deal if one is crunched by the camera dept.  The newer small Lectro RX are even smaller than G3, but WAY more expensive, and if I had some I'd want to save them for use on talent, not used as a scratch hop.

2 hours ago, chrismedr said:

agreed, a G3 on the scratch track and plural eyes works nearly as well as timecode.

if I'm feeling really paranoid, I send a scratch on one channel and hook up a Tentacle on the other, so if one gets messed up for some reason there's a second sync option.

Now i'm pissed.

How long does it take for Plural Eyes to sync a day of ENG  of material?  (say, 100 clips)

With what succes rate? Last time i've tried, it took me a couple of hours to have only 1/3 done.

LTC will do this within a minute, and will give a very clear warning if it worked or not. (And if if did not, YOU are to blame, but there are still backup plans that will save the day.)

You're not in post,are you? Did you ever do this yourself? Please enlighten me if your experiences (hands on) are different!

Bouke

16 minutes ago, Bouke said:

Now i'm pissed.

at me, or at plural eyes? : )

How long does it take for Plural Eyes to sync a day of ENG  of material?  (say, 100 clips)

100 clips of 2 minutes length? (i.e. over 3 hours of footage)
depends on the codec used, the speed of your hard disk and machine, but I'd say something like half an hour max with decent hardware.
but for ENG, why not just send over a good clean wireless hop and use that as production audio?

NWith what succes rate? 

if you do a scratch track from the same audio as the recorder I'd say 95-100% success rate.
If you use an on camera mic, like 10-80%

Last time i've tried, it took me a couple of hours to have only 1/3 done.

well, when did you try last? and how did you record the camera audio?
you want identical mix on both the camera and recorder for best results.

LTC will do this within a minute, and will give a very clear warning if it worked or not. (And if if did not, YOU are to blame, but there are still backup plans that will save the day.)

yes and we all know that every camera does reliable time code and there is never any operator error...

and if TC goes wrong and there is no scratch audio on an ENG shoot, then better run and hide.

You're not in post,are you? Did you ever do this yourself? Please enlighten me if your experiences (hands on) are different!

I do a fair bit of post and I use plural eyes frequently, thanks for asking.

all that said, personally I prefer TC (even audio TC) to plural eyes, but there are many small productions where plural eyes does just fine (which, I think was the original question)

chris