So much illegal 700MHz wireless equipment on eBay

Tom Duffy

Second that. the WRC is the place where one needs representation in the first place - in the first place setup where they purportedly decide on spectrum (re-)allocation... 

Yes, you're absolutely right, Vin. There is the apwpt.org which I believe sits in on the WRC, but I'm not sure. While the APWPT seems to be a bit euro-centric it has "ambassadors" in many countries and I believe it attempts to represent both wireless gear makers as well as users. They try to speak with a louder voice by speaking for all of us.
They haven't been all that successful this far, though.

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2017 at 8:53 PM, Constantin said:

Yes, you're absolutely right, Vin. There is the apwpt.org which I believe sits in on the WRC, but I'm not sure. While the APWPT seems to be a bit euro-centric it has "ambassadors" in many countries and I believe it attempts to represent both wireless gear makers as well as users. They try to speak with a louder voice by speaking for all of us.
They haven't been all that successful this far, though.

Hey Constantin, do you know what is going to happen with the 600 mhz spectrum in Europe? For how long are we good to use it for wireless?

14 hours ago, Virag Zsolt said:

Hey Constantin, do you know what is going to happen with the 600 mhz spectrum in Europe? For how long are we good to use it for wireless?

Kind of. For most frequencies below 694 and  above 470 we should be pretty safe until 2030 in Europe. At least that’s what was decided some time ago, but they also said they would continue to evaluate this in regular intervals, so it can change within a few years. I believe the EU as such wasn’t entirely thrilled with how the whole mobile internet thing went, so they are not too keen on auctioning off even more spectrum. The safest areas probably are the duplex gaps, wherever those are in your area. 

the 700MHz auction happened only fairly recently and I think mobile towers are just starting to appear so there will be some time before anything more dramatic happens to other bands. Each country can handle this a bit differently, but the general EU (or I believe all of Europe) plan is as above

On 1/6/2019 at 1:13 AM, Constantin said:

Kind of. For most frequencies below 694 and  above 470 we should be pretty safe until 2030 in Europe. At least that’s what was decided some time ago, but they also said they would continue to evaluate this in regular intervals, so it can change within a few years. I believe the EU as such wasn’t entirely thrilled with how the whole mobile internet thing went, so they are not too keen on auctioning off even more spectrum. The safest areas probably are the duplex gaps, wherever those are in your area. 

the 700MHz auction happened only fairly recently and I think mobile towers are just starting to appear so there will be some time before anything more dramatic happens to other bands. Each country can handle this a bit differently, but the general EU (or I believe all of Europe) plan is as above

Thanks a lot Constantin, that clears up a lot of confusion I had regarding this issue. Will be looking into some Lectros now for sure.

Buyers market then?

in my country 700 and below is still legal.

lucky!

There have been times when bottom end of 27 and top end of 26 has saved the day.

In fact, a site surveyed and tested the previous day has been totally RF smashed by high power random spectrum testing.

You cannot compete with that.

Lucky once again we have access to products such as lectrosonics PDR and zaxcom recording wireless, amongst others.

I am sure that the spectrum will continue to be sold off, and luckily manufacturers are evolving their products and somehow continuing to survive.

The world is a large place.

If you do not know what is legal in the market you live in, then you are lacking in education.

If you are selling equipment then it needs to be clear what you are selling.

if you purchase wireless that is legal where you work, but does not fit in the spectrum where you work, than once again, you are lacking in education.

If Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, and Wisycom could all get together and have some kind of orgy, then we could all have a wide spectrum rubberised, dual mic, totally waterproof, low to high powered, tiny bendable, remote controllable, multi antenna fibre optic based digital multiplexed, rechargeable microphone system with IFB.

I bought Block 28 and block 29 IFB from the US while it was still legal in my country, based on clear and available spectrum, with only a year and a half before it was no longer legal.

it served my needs perfectly at the time, and when it was not viable to send it back to Lectrosonics for reblocking, I sold it overseas into a market at a fair price where it was still legal and re invested in other equipment.

Be careful, know what you are buying and make sure it suits your business plan.

in the meantime, I am keeping a smallish amount of gear based on the jobs I am doing now.

I will sleep soundly knowing that everything I have bought and worked and sold and bought again, will be beneficial to all parties.

Honest business practices and reputation is the most important.