Zaxcom Wireless and IFB Range

bschir

You can barely see the actor standing on the ledge near the crow's nest 100 yards away, but had me some range that day from the dock. From the same spot was able to get a few feet down into the hold through massive amounts of steel. This was a few years ago using old silver TRX900's and RX4900's + sharkfins.

Got similarly great range into the 2nd floor sanctuary of the church, covering the entirety of the space with basically the same setup except more recent TRX's.

I've never moved higher or lower than 50mw. It always works great for me.

Maximizing range requires some knowledge of how RF works of course and getting the proper cables, antenna, and cart placement. In the two pictured examples, you'll note I chose to be farther away but with best line of sight.

Chose Zax wires because of the internal recorders that give me peace of mind and how excellent they sound.

For IFB's: Comtek = Video Village, R1a's for private comms. Use TC-endabled ERX's to jam slates and lockit boxes and as emergency IFB's for last-minute cousin visitors.

tracers abandon ship.JPG

indignation_church_range.JPG

Wireless range with the Zaxcom UHF wireless is not a factor unless you want to consider it is often better than analog wireless. With our digital system we can receive a perfect signal with only 7 dB of RF signal above the noise. This is pretty much the theoretical limit for this kind of thing.

The more important questions are:

What does it sound like? What features does it have? Will it make me stand out as someone who will get hired more often, and can I charge more for the internal recording as a value added feature?

A long long time ago range was more of an issue. Today it is more of an asset.

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:57 PM, Constantin said:

But higher power certainly can increase distance in real life

I was referring to real life. The difference between 50 mW and 250 mW is not even close to 5 times. Add directional antenna arrays and you get additional distance.

Edited by Ty Ford
clarity

I was referring to real life. The difference between 50 mW and 250 mW is not even close to 5 times. Add directional antenna arrays and you get additional distance.

Of course, but it's one component adding to another.
I agree, it's not five times. Even RF Explorer doesn't show it as five times, but it does increase range nevertheless