The first film made with digitally recorded sound

Toastworks

On March 6, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Jeff Wexler said:

we tried Jazz discs, we tried Orb discs,

I remember when I first started at Coffey, I was in rentals in order to learn the gear, and I remember seeing a Jazz drive on the shelf and I asked Chris Silverman what it was and why we had it. It just sat there and never went out. I can't remember if we had an Orb drive, but I think I saw one or two. Wasn't the Nagra V using the Orb disk/drive...whatever it was? I think by the time I started DVD-Ram was really the standard format for turning in media. 

Remember when we could get DVD-Rams on a spindle in bulk for the first time? And then when computers started being able to read them natively? It was like the clouds parted and angels started singing. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, dfisk said:

Remember when we could get DVD-Rams on a spindle in bulk for the first time? And then when computers started being able to read them natively? It was like the clouds parted and angels started singing. 

I believe it was the 1999 "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 was one of the first computers that had an option both for a Zip drive and DVD-ram drive.  I remember CompUSA showing off the DVD capable drives by playing Top Gun on DVD on one of those original Apple Cinema Display (LCD) screens hooked up via this magical new connector called "DVI".  High tech stuff!