iPhone Workflow

Trey LaCroix

Hey everybody, long time lurker taking the plunge. I'm on a project and just found out that tomorrow there will be a segment shot on an iPhone. I'm still waiting on details from production, but I wanted to ask how others have handled working with the iPhone.

I'm assuming sending audio to camera isn't realistic, so I'm thinking double system with a TC slate. I see to get conflicting information online regarding frame rate. Does it shoot 29.976 frames or true 30. As far as I know they are planning on shooting in the iPhone camera app and not an app like filmic. 

I just did a shoot with a FB live via the iPhone and actually iRig makes an adapter that is basically a XLR input to TRRS iPhone input. So basically just going mic level mix out of your rig into the iRig and to the iPhone was pretty easy and sounded decent. It does require buying the iRig which is like $40 or something. 

I'm assuming sending audio to camera isn't realistic, so I'm thinking double system with a TC slate. I see to get conflicting information online regarding frame rate. Does it shoot 29.976 frames or true 30. As far as I know they are planning on shooting in the iPhone camera app and not an app like filmic. 

As you long as you can't get the timecode into the iphone and actually sync it to tc, the fps rate of the phone's camera is irrelevant to you. TC slate doesn't make much sense. At least the TC part. Might as well use a regular slate

7 hours ago, PalmerT said:

I just did a shoot with a FB live via the iPhone and actually iRig makes an adapter that is basically a XLR input to TRRS iPhone input. So basically just going mic level mix out of your rig into the iRig and to the iPhone was pretty easy and sounded decent. It does require buying the iRig which is like $40 or something. 

Thanks! I actually have one of these and didn't even realize it could be used this way.