C300 Timecode Anomoly

Hello all.

Recently I had a gig with 2 C300s which I was jamming via a zaxcom TRX900CL feeding two RX200. The cameras picked up the my timecode no problem but the letter next to the timecode in the camera display was changing from 'E' (External - my timecode) to 'F' (Freerun or the camera's internal time code) every second or two. Visually the timecode looked to be running fine. Everything was set to 23.98 and I don't think the problem was related to reception. 

Any thoughts or insights int this would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, jKennedy said:

Hello all.

Recently I had a gig with 2 C300s which I was jamming via a zaxcom TRX900CL feeding two RX200. The cameras picked up the my timecode no problem but the letter next to the timecode in the camera display was changing from 'E' (External - my timecode) to 'F' (Freerun or the camera's internal time code) every second or two. Visually the timecode looked to be running fine. Everything was set to 23.98 and I don't think the problem was related to reception. 

Any thoughts or insights int this would be appreciated. 

The rx200 can only feed 1.5V TC. Alco some C300 does not like Zaxcom timecode. I have had situations where the XLRs from erx have to be plugged in for the time code to work.

4 hours ago, PalmerT said:

Are they mkII C300's? Those have had TC issues. The first generation C300's have always bee rock solid for me but the new ones have given me problems with various TC sources. Not sure if it has been worked out with firmware or not. 

no mk1s

they are rock solid 99% of the time but I have encountered a few with that issue.

The rx200 can only feed 1.5V TC. Alco some C300 does not like Zaxcom timecode. I have had situations where the XLRs from erx have to be plugged in for the time code to work.

That sounds like the ERX cables aren't grounded properly. Be careful. I had the 48v on a F55 fry my ERX because the cables weren't grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, mghough said:

That sounds like the ERX cables aren't grounded properly. Be careful. I had the 48v on a F55 fry my ERX because the cables weren't grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cables are fine.

Also I have tried to burn erx1tcds with phantom power and they are fine. I don't buy the phantom power being blamed for what I believe to be a trs board connector failure. All 5 of my erxs had cold solder on the plug and the design of the erx is not very sturdy around the trs

Early on, the ERXs were apparently vulnerable to phantom voltage damage.  Not too long after the "2" version was released, Zaxcom made a modification that elimated the issue.  If your unit has had service since then, or is newer than when the mod was made, you shouldn't worry. 

...And, no, I don't know at what serial number the change was made.

Ok, check this out, I've repaired around five of them on location:

If you look at the center of the BNC connection on the camera, you'll see the positive post; have a closer look and compare it to the BNC just above it. Is there a difference with that little "4-piece tube" protruding from the center of the connection? Probably YES. Those 4 parts of the circular "tube" are split abnormally compared to the one (never use, I think it's a Genlock BNC; don't remember and don't have a cam in front of me).

Now take a small screwdriver and just bring pack those 4 parts of the circular "tube" towards center.

You fixed it, no more E/F alterning on the screen, solid "refurbished" BNC, thanks to the soundguy on the spot.

The first one I caught, one of the 4 parts of that positive connector was completely crushed at the bottom of the BNC and was creating a short from center post (positive) to the outer shell (negative) of the connector ! Since then, I simply always check those connectors on the cam since those C300s are getting older and older now.

As a side funny exercise, check out the Sony's FS7s connectors now. Wow, completely different model. Way more solid.

21 minutes ago, Boomboom said:

Ok, check this out, I've repaired around five of them on location:

If you look at the center of the BNC connection on the camera, you'll see the positive post; have a closer look and compare it to the BNC just above it. Is there a difference with that little "4-piece tube" protruding from the center of the connection? Probably YES. Those 4 parts of the circular "tube" are split abnormally compared to the one (never use, I think it's a Genlock BNC; don't remember and don't have a cam in front of me).

Now take a small screwdriver and just bring pack those 4 parts of the circular "tube" towards center.

You fixed it, no more E/F alterning on the screen, solid "refurbished" BNC, thanks to the soundguy on the spot.

The first one I caught, one of the 4 parts of that positive connector was completely crushed at the bottom of the BNC and was creating a short from center post (positive) to the outer shell (negative) of the connector ! Since then, I simply always check those connectors on the cam since those C300s are getting older and older now.

As a side funny exercise, check out the Sony's FS7s connectors now. Wow, completely different model. Way more solid.

Nice thank you!

• 5 months later...