Best Handheld For Voice of God

soundgarten

Hi again, I have been looking for the right hand held wireless mic for Voice of god. I once had a Shure that was perfect, rock solid RF, nice big mute button, really solidly built, but the studio I was working with on that movie had purchased it for me and they assetted it at the end of the gig and took it away. I'm certain it's still sitting on the same shelf it was put on the day it was taken from me 10 years ago. Since then I've tried a variety of Shures, but none have had the build quality that old one had. I've also tried the Lectro HH etc. Lately I've been using either a Sennheiser or Lectro plug on transmitter with a Remote audio modified SM 58 with the push to talk button. This works OK, but I would prefer to have a single unit, reliable, well built handheld mic with a large easy to use mute button. Any suggestions ..

We use the Sennheiser SKM 300 because it has a programmable mute button. You can easily set it up as PTT. We have two matched wireless systems and two QSC 10's. If we need to fill a larger area, we connect the second Sennheiser receiver up to the second QSC so it works wirelessly as well. Couldn't be happier with the speakers. They have great fidelity and are VERY loud if you want them to be. Set the squelch to high on the receiver in a heavy RF environment. Hope this helps.

image.png

Thanks everybody for your replies. I have one of the Sennheiser SKM 300's, but it must be from the generation before the ones you've been referring to. It doesn't have that nice big programmable button on its body. The only exterior controls are at the base. I'll get a new SKM 300, and give it a try with my old receivers, seems like that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

After years of searching/waiting for a portable VOG system that satisfied my needs, I finally found it last year and used it for my big show last series. Will tell in a moment. 

Prior to this, and during my waiting period, I was using one of my Fostex 6301B for the location intro and outro scenes. Volume wise It was okay because I could get it really close to set in amongst all the cameras and lighting stands etc. However it was annoying because I had to run XLR and power to it. Audio was fed to it by a console in the video village that was used for monitoring and I gave the director a cabled hand mic with a slide/fader type mute switch built in. 

The system worked well but was annoying for me. 

What I wanted for years was a system with a wireless hand mic and a self powered battery operated speaker that I could easily place anywhere and move quickly and easily when it came to jib wide shots etc. 

i looked at all the systems out there like Samson, Behringer, Mipro etc but I wasn't happy with the sound and quality plus the built in battery. 

I finally found the Sennheiser LSP500!!!

After researching and talking to Sennheiser Australia, checking it out, I bought it along with a Sennheiser SKM 300 series hand mic with programmable button and the half rack receiver that slots into the LSP500. 

The unit it very well built, has superb sound, the hand mic has excellent range. It's loud enough to address very large groups of people outdoors and can be linked to more LSP500 speakers if required. 

The deal clencher for me was the battery system. It takes 2 NP1 batteries! I have 10 of these already with 2 chargers and it came with 2 so I don't have to worry about power, nor changing internal gel cells when they crap out . The NP1's are hot swappable and the unit also charges them when plugged into mains  

I set up the button on the hand mic as PTT. System works beautifully and is so easy to plonk down anywhere and pick up and move by it's built in handle. 

It has the ability to take 3 radio mic systems or to receive 2 and send to another LSP50.

Im absolutely loving it. It saves me time in location and the director loves it. It's definitely one of the best bit of kit I own. It's not cheap by any means, especially compared to the Samson etc types but well worth it IMO. I highly recommend this system  

Cheers

Megs