greataural

Hi there,

I'm a sound mixer in L.A. and recently someone broke into my vehicle and stole these items. If it comes up anywhere, please let me know:

LECTROSONICS BLOCK 28
(2) [TRNSMTR UM 400] - SER# 9234, SER# 9582                

(2) [RECEIVERS UCR 401] - SER# 1856, SER# 1866

LECTROSONICS BLOCK 22
[TRNSMTR  UM200C] SER# 7072, SER# 6843  

[RECEIVERS UCR 201] SER # 2668, SER # 2609

Thanks a bunch!

John Iskander

greataural@gmail.com

Edited by greataural
update

Sorry about your loss.  

I've heard this type of story too many times and I always wonder why people leave their gear in their cars. If it's while your working and away from your car, why not throw a bunch of beach towels or ratty black furnies on top of it (out of sight out of mind) or get your windows tinted. I do both.  Gears too valuable to not be paranoid about it.  Particularly when you don't carry insurance. If I had insurance (other than when a show covers it) you can steal my gear all week long.  I could use a new package.  Just don't steal my odd and ends cables and connectors.  That crap is to hard to recreate.

I never stop off somewhere after work to eat, drink or recreate with gear in the car. Again, paranoia.

I also have to leave things in the car. And no, I am not willing to go for the paranoia thing. 

I try to make the remaining items look shabby and worthless. If I were a thief, I would definitely go for anything covered by blankets.  

I think,  a comprehensive list of all stolen gear would make our lives easier, some internet based wiki thing where anyone could add his stolen items, sorted by manufacturer and/or category. Would make it more dangerous for a thief to sell stolen audio gear because anyone could routinely look up serials there ahead of buying something used. 

Does anyone know where Jack parks his car? I could use a nice steel cage.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:05 PM, Corbin said:

Has anyone ever bolted a lockbox in the trunk?  Could not protect everything, but perhaps recorders and radio mics at least?

Corbin, I think it comes down to what are you protecting against? If you're talking about protecting in public where somebody's not going to have time or can't make the noise to chew into a Pelican case with a chainsaw, then you could bolt a Pelican in place, and if you siliconed or rubber o-ringed just right, it would still be waterproof. But you first have to define what you're protecting against. That won't keep somebody from stealing the car. If your parked in an apartment complex, you might be safe, chainsaw at 3 am would be suspicious.

The problem for many of you, is that people see you loading and unloading these cases in and out of your car is where you live. As soon as the wrong person spots that and if you leave something in there that's when you going to have a problem. I just finished up with a job where I had to park in a parking deck day after day. I don't park on the same deck or in the same part of the deck everyday because I don't want somebody seeing my car sitting there and getting curious so if I'm parked on the south end of deck 2 today I park on the North End of deck 3 tomorrow. This place had somebody monitoring security cameras and there was a bunch of cameras so I really wasn't worried. The people who steal stuff like that, it's usually they're stealing from somebody who has a routine or the thief themselves has a routine and you fell into that routine. Maybe they know there's one parking spot that doesn't have a security camera on it because of lens coverage. Then you happen to park in that spot, and they always go check to see who's in that spot, and voila, there are cases that contain something.

Sincerely, Martin

Well, it's my gear....so ...

Taking the whole car is easy, so make it difficult and time consuming to do so.

Cargo van...

Alarm, kill switch, Tinted side driver, passenger, and rear windows  (LIMO)...caged windows, glass breaking sensor, cargo area fully caged behind seats and locked, Slick locks on all doors to cargo area, Club on the steering wheel, Club for break pedal, Blinking blue alarm light on front of windshield .. I also have Magnetic signs for a Company that is leading humans to believe nothing valuable is inside... I'm a few feet away...and normally armed.. or, its locked up in a Guarded locked garage... With all the locks on..   

If they get it... or at it... I can sleep knowing I did all I could...  I personally would not suggest a vehicle with access through a lot of windows, or a car... but, if you must, there ARE things you CAN do to discourage them in the first place... People are usually looking for easy meat...