cart power opinions

Tony Johnson

Hi its time to upgrade my old Meon Mk2. I have a choice between the Meon Life or the PSC Powerstar Life. I know the PSC is a few hundred more but claims to offer more in faster charge and hand selected cells.

Has anyone tried both or have an opinion either way?

I would like to hear before committing. I dont have the opportunity to see either of these in the flesh before purchasing but am familiar with the Meon.

Cheers

Tony

All I can say is that I also came from the Meon V2 and moved to the Meon Life. Compared to the V2 this was a great improvement. I got the extra life, too, but only the 20ah version. I wish the 40ah had been available then, because the overall battery capacity is not quite enough to get me through the day. But I can simply use an NP-1 with a shoe and an XLR4 and plug that straight into the Meon. It switches seamlessly. I always have a few NP1s with me anyway, in case I need my bag.
You could also use a even a car battery or whatever. That's one of the things I especially like about the Life.
I have never used the PSC, though

If I were to rethink the entire system, I would definitely reconsider the whole rackmount think, though. When we are travelling, especially to remote locations, it can be difficult to find somewhere to recharge the Meon. So something that I can take with me to my hotel room might be easier. But, if the worst happens, I can get by on NP-1s, so it's OK. Anyway, you know these issues already with your Meon

12 minutes ago, Constantin said:

But I can simply use an NP-1 with a shoe and an XLR4 and plug that straight into the Meon. It switches seamlessly. I always have a few NP1s with me anyway, in case I need my bag.

Thanks Constantin thats a good idea. I have a bunch of Audio Root li-ion e smart batts so i could use those to give me extra. I thought the Meon 40ah was only as an extra battery. Agree re rack mount but i only have a 1U space avail for cart power. I also like the Audio Root small cart distro but with no charger built in it seems a bit limiting. I like the meon but also like the remote that comes with the PSC as it also has 4 x usb charge.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have purchased the PSC Cart Power II last year and am very satisfied with it. It doesn't have an internal battery, which may or may not work depending on your needs. I actually find the lack of internal battery a great thing since I am free to build my own pelican SLA at a very low cost or even use any V-lock or NP1 for emergency power. It also provides redundancy with AC power just like its bigger brother.

I am actually surprised not to have heard more about this great little unit.

http://professionalsound.com/specs/cartPowerII.htm

12 hours ago, David Marien said:

Hi Tony,

I have purchased the PSC Cart Power II last year and am very satisfied with it. It doesn't have an internal battery, which may or may not work depending on your needs. I actually find the lack of internal battery a great thing since I am free to build my own pelican SLA at a very low cost or even use any V-lock or NP1 for emergency power. It also provides redundancy with AC power just like its bigger brother.

I am actually surprised not to have heard more about this great little unit.

http://professionalsound.com/specs/cartPowerII.htm

I had the original PSC Cart Power and loved it.  Had to give it up when I was pulling too many amps.  I believe it's higher on V.2

Can't beat the price too.