Any solution for Files backup with Ipad?

Fred Salles

Hello,

does anyone using the Ipad for backing up daily files?

I will be using an Ipad as remote for the sound devices 688 on a feature, and I am looking for a solution to use the ipad to make my own files back up (from CF or SD card to HDD), to avoid bringing along my laptop computer.

I am new to Apple world and just got my IPad. So far I figured it is not possible but decided to post the question just in case ;-)

Thanks

Fred

I cant help but think that this will be a huge and steep hill to climb on an iPad. You might want to consider buying one of the cheap Windows pads that are widely available. You may want to check them out first, that they have enough USB slots or whatever way you can get them to read from CF and/or SD cards. Also be careful as they might not have enough guts to power the HDD. Also check what speed they can transfer at. I use a cheap Windows pad for unpacking the data compressed files from my Audio Ltd 1010 transmitters, the unpacking app is really fast, but copying the data onto something I can deliver can be incredibly slow.

Have you considered one of the (usually made for) HDDs that they make for photographers to use - they have a card slot, and the HDD, and some even have power built in. They are made to specifically copy the contents of a DSLR card or whatever to HDD.

Good luck, Simon B

with my cantar,  I use this thumbdrive with lightning to access my pdf sound reports and send them with my iphone.  you need the transcend iOS app to browse files and help you send files:

https://ca.transcend-info.com/apple/jetdrivego300

what might work for you is transcend's rda2 sd card reader with lightning connector:

https://ca.transcend-info.com/apple/rda2

should allow you to pop in the sd card from the 688 and load the files on to your ipad.  you will need the correct ios app to use with reader.  

if you decide to try it,  please follow up here,  so we know what does and does not work

Thanks guys,

so far no success really. The only thing I found could be interesting is what Bash mentioned HD with SD card reader included and wifi: this one has great reviews: https://www.wdc.com/en-um/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html

But the big issue for me with Ipad is that it does not give you any information on the files, whatever app you're using. So you won't know how many octets has a file and won't be able to compare the copy folder from the original (some of the things I always do with my PC).

Mind you that there will be proper backups made by production every night. It is just for my own copy that I need a light solution.

I haven't find any app that would read polyphonic files neither yet. I wish Wave Agent was available for iOS ;-)

That's exactly what I usually do. Except this time it is very far from home (Kenya) and I might not have space in my luggage for both ipad and laptop...  and thought it'd be good to discuss about solutions to use the damn Ipad for personal backups ;-)

Ipad does a great job as 688 remote and ease my life for sound reports, so I need it for that shoot. I just wish it was not so... "occluded" !

• 3 weeks later...

well,  the production you are with will be using one of the companies in kenya to help with entry.  two of the ones I have worked with,  have workstations that can back-up your work,  if it is onerous to travel with your laptop.  

when I click on the .wav file, using the transcend app mentioned in my previous email,  it plays.  did you need something more than that?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mungo said:

https://www.nextodi.com/products/nd2901/

Best backup solution and a real problem solver. No computer or pad necessary any more.

Interesting thanks, but as soon as I saw the format is exFAT it rings alarm bells for me, a production I was on lost a days picture rushes because of some weird interaction between exFAT drives and an Apple laptop OSX. They just vanished, on set, and then it was compounded by when post received the drives and seeing they were apparently empty, proceeded to re-format them exFAT, it took some rather expensive specialized data retrieval to get them back.
Just saying, I now avoid exFAT when it has anything to do with OSX.

53 minutes ago, pindrop said:

Interesting thanks, but as soon as I saw the format is exFAT it rings alarm bells for me, a production I was on lost a days picture rushes because of some weird interaction between exFAT drives and an Apple laptop OSX. They just vanished, on set, and then it was compounded by when post received the drives and seeing they were apparently empty and proceeded to re-format them exFAT, it took some rather expensive specialized data retrieval to get them back.
Just saying, I now avoid exFAT when it has anything to do with OSX.

Yes, that's true. I don't know whether this problem has already been solved, but I heard of accidents like that too. Never happened to me though (MacPro, always updated to latest OS). ExFat is still a compromise to serve both Windows and Apple worlds.

The good thing with this device is that it writes to 2 drives simultaniously and quite fast, not writing anything onto the cards like a computer does.