Sound devices SD mute outputs .

nevo

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

Did he not just explain that?

2 hours ago, Bash said:

I am not so sure that you are being sincere Martin ;-) I think I shall leave you to this thread. My work is done ;-) sb

16 hours ago, daniel said:

Daniel, It's not a matter of my level of happiness. I would consider the sentence that I wrote, "less features=less learning" to be a fact. It takes less learning to be a photographer, than it does to be a brain surgeon. The other sentence you mentioned "if you are lazy or won't or can't read, buy something easy to learn." If someone tells you that are all Zaxcom and they didn't read the manual, run. They are not being truthful. I have had sales people tell me that customers return Zaxcom because they couldn't "figure it out". That's on the customer, not Zaxcom. If you drop out of brain surgery school because you can't figure it out, it's probably not the schools fault. There are simply two types of people in this world, the type that can read a lot and the type that can't. There used to be an hour's meter indicating how much usage a Nomad had on it when you turned it on. I bought my first Nomad used and it had 5 hours on it. Somebody had given up on learning their mixer after 5 hours of use. Maybe they didn't know how to read, I don't know. I do know that I got a bargain on that unit. There are people that don't know how to read and that is sad. There are people that don't take the time to read because they're too busy going out getting drunk at a bar. There are some people that can't learn outside of a structured classroom setting. Regardless of your work practices you are going to have to do a lot of reading with Zaxcom. These statements by me are not dismissive of anything. Other than  to reference it here, you won't see me use the term "RTFM". There are times when you can read that Manual and it's just not going to sink in. Then I think it is appropriate to get on a website such as this and ask a simple question. Sometimes things just don't click in your head, that's human nature. If you simply want to read a lot less, buy something other than Zaxcom. The other thing that you buy will have less features and subsequently will have less reading, this is just a fact. 

Sincerely, Martin 

All, I am being sincere. I guess I should have said, "Since that idea doesn't work, what is your next possible way to make this work.?" This has been nonstop non-information. The beginners on this site must stay really confused at some peoples guesswork. If someone asked me how to do something, which happens quite often, I would walk them thru it and show them, all the while making sure not to make them feel stupid in any way. Making someone feel stupid is probably not going to help them learn faster. Why do people take so much joy in doing that? What kind of person enjoys making young and or inexperienced people feel stupid? I just don't get it. So many people have commented here with more words that didn't help solve the equation, with some pretending that, "of course, I know the answer, It's just so obvious, I'm not going to tell you." Would you sit in the back of an advanced math classroom, and raise your hand and say "I know the answer, but I'm just raising my hand to make snide comments?" Of course not. So why do it here? And why type "RTFM"? Does that really help? Why not just type something useful using the same amount of words? Why do people treat others this way? In the words of one sound mixer, whom many of you know, "its poor potty training" that causes people to act this way. My mother would be appalled if I told someone something like "RTFM". I enjoy teaching someone something new and watching how they modify my process to make it better for the way they do things. Sometimes their modification of a process modifys my process. We both win. I probably haven't taught any of the snide commenters anything from this post, so let's see your best non- productive snide comments. 

Sincerely, Martin 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somethings are hard to comprehend. A few days a go (in another thread) you were handing me a lecture on the merits of reading, especially in the context of understanding and operating Zaxcom gear and then without a hint of irony you get apoplectic and suggest members are "nonstop non-information" because you ask a question (about Zaxcom gear on an SD thread) and don't get what people are telling you. Calm down, about 3 or 4 people have tried to help you or answer your question. If you don't like or understand the answer, don't throw your toys out of the pram - contact Zaxcom. As well as hearing 'straight from the horse's mouth', your feedback on this matter may be welcome as it may help them improve their documentation of this feature :- ) And if you are determined to get an answer on this forum it's probably best to start a new topic, for your sake and other peoples.

Just now, daniel said:

Somethings are hard to comprehend. A few days a go (in another thread) you were handing me a lecture on the merits of reading, especially in the context of understanding and operating Zaxcom gear and then without a hint of irony you get apoplectic and suggest members are "nonstop non-information" because you ask a question (about Zaxcom gear on an SD thread) and don't get what people are telling you. Calm down, about 3 or 4 people have tried to help you or answer your question. If you don't like or understand the answer, don't throw your toys out of the pram - contact Zaxcom. As well as hearing 'straight from the horse's mouth', your feedback on this matter may be welcome as it may help them improve their documentation of this feature :- ) And if you are determined to get an answer on this forum it's probably best to start a new topic, for your sake and other peoples.

Daniel, I don't believe I ever said anything that would discuss the merits of reading. I simply made a statement that if you have a zaxcom versus the "other brand", you're just going to have to read more. There is no matter of people telling me something that I'm not getting, I'm well-versed in zaxcom and I simply don't believe there's any way to do with they're talking about. I've already said that in this thread. I'm not sure how to make that any clearer. I don't have any communication problems with Zaxcom. And indeed there is a menu item in the Zaxcom that was created after communication between myself and Zaxcom. I consider myself a very calm person. And no, not three or four people have tried to help, one person gave an answer that's not correct. Someone posting that somebody else said something is not an answer. I don't like false information dis-information, rumors or speculation. If someone says they have a fact why not present it. I own 2 Nomads and there are no such menu item as mentioned by Bash. What if somebody reads that, thinking that that feature actually exists and buys a Zaxcom based on that in misinformation? Not good for anyone, especially the person that just laid out thousands of dollars. If you would like, I can start a new thread with all of this nonsense and we can hash it out, all the while, still on the same site. I don't need to contact Zaxcom to ask them about a feature that doesn't exist. 

Sincerely, Martin 

3 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

I don't have any communication problems with Zaxcom. And indeed there is a menu item in the Zaxcom that was created after communication between myself and Zaxcom.

I don't need to contact Zaxcom to ask them about a feature that doesn't exist. 

Sincerely, Martin 

15 hours ago, nevo said:

Back on topic....Yes mutes on selectable outputs would be very helpful.....
I have to switch out comtek feed over 200 times in a typical day.... its abit of a drag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selectable output or which input-track?

10 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

Ritalin.

Thank you for another non answer.

3 minutes ago, VAS said:

Selectable output or which input-track?

Hello, yes I would like to know the answer that question too.

Sincerely, Martin

Hello all, I just got off the phone with Zaxcom. I believe they too would be curious to know where this menu item is. It has become, once again, the electronic Bigfoot.

Sincerely, Martin

Well, that escalated quickly.  I actually have the answer to your question for I have been there many times. But telling you would be the easy way out.  Anything worthwhile and treasured is worth working for.  It is only when we put our sweat and tears into something that we will hold the pearls that we gain dear to our hearts.  The prize is in the struggle.   Here's a hint to get you going: the menu that you seek is deeper in the path that you've visited many times.  Happy hunting and may you come back a wiser and gentler man.

28 minutes ago, Mirror said:

Well, that escalated quickly.  I actually have the answer to your question for I have been there many times. But telling you would be the easy way out.  Anything worthwhile and treasured is worth working for.  It is only when we put our sweat and tears into something that we will hold the pearls that we gain dear to our hearts.  The prize is in the struggle.   Here's a hint to get you going: the menu that you seek is deeper in the path that you've visited many times.  Happy hunting and may you come back a wiser and gentler man.

Yet another non-answer.

I have been following this, somewhat reluctantly, and I would like to first say +1 to John Blankenship --- I think he has the only relevant answer: Ritalin. That said, this topic thread is going nowhere and reminds me of some of the reasons why I started JWSOUND in the first place. True, this is not as nasty as lots of the stuff that used to happen on r.a.m.p.s., but it still has devolved into much more of a combative mode than I ever like to see on the site. Let's try and bring this back to some sort of civility or drop it altogether. I'm not going to try and place blame on any one individual for the direction and tone this has taken, but I would like to thank those who have tried but possibly not succeeded in the efforts to calm this whole thing down. Maybe Ritalin IS the answer.

Jeff, There is no such feature on the Nomad. I thought in the beginning of this someone may have figured out a "workaround". Something such as I do to combat computer viruses. I don't use Antivirus software, I have a work around. It soon started to be obvious that many on here were just having fun, as opposed to providing any instructional help. There is no Nomad menu that has that, if a Deva has it, someone could have just said so, and probably with many fewer words than they used to not say it.

Sincerely, Martin 

Jeff, There is no such feature on the Nomad.

Martin, No-one ever said in this thread that this feature existed on the Nomad. Only you thought someone did, okay? Just because someone said Zaxcom, doesn't mean this feature exists on all Zaxcom devices.

Now, please, let it go. As I mentioned before, sometimes silence is the answer (or something very similar)

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Martin, No-one ever said in this thread that this feature existed on the Nomad. Only you thought someone did, okay? Just because someone said Zaxcom, doesn't mean this feature exists on all Zaxcom devices.

Now, please, let it go. As I mentioned before, sometimes silence is the answer (or something very similar)

All, some of you just enjoy inflicting misery instead of just simply solving a problem, your were just built like that and we will have to learn to live with that. I have people who send me private messages asking me questions because they don't want to be criticized by many of you, one person on this site surmised that this is born out of fear. I.e. , "if you learn what I know then they won't need me". There may be truth to that. I mentioned Nomad and someone could have simply said "Nomad doesn't have it Deva does". But that would have just been too easy with no drama.

Sincerely, Martin 

The only ones being inflicted misery right now is the rest of the members of this community....  Martin, we get it... Please be nice enough to simply let this go... I can't for the life of me understand why you are going on and on about nothing.. Please...  This was a thread about SD mute outputs... it is now a rant.. I don't know any other way to describe it. Be a good guy and let this go...

I mentioned Nomad and someone could have simply said "Nomad doesn't have it Deva does".

Well, I did say that. And I did look it up in the Deva manual. You could've just done the same instead of sulking away.
In an effort to cool things down a bit, please consider the following:
This is a thread about Sound Devices products. Most who were posting here, use and know SD products, possibly they do not know Zaxcom recorders to any greater extent.
Bash mentioned that Zaxcom does offer this feature. You thought he meant Nomad, but you only mentioned this in passing, if at all. No-one "helped you", at first, because nobody noticed this or maybe simply nobody knew that only the Deva and not Nomad offered this feature!