Ursa Strap

GNinja

I have about 20 of them here in the UK. They are brilliantly designed. Best straps I have found yet, for many reasons.

I heard a rumour that a US manufacturer of radio mic straps is trying to 'have a go' legally at Ursa. I am most intrigued to try and fathom quite what you could patent on a radio mic strap - sounds about as unlikely as someone taking a patent out on the colour orange ;-)

Anyway - whatever the legals - they are the best straps I have ever used. More to the point they are the go to straps that my regualr assistants reach for, and in my box of 'radio mic stuff' they have the choice of pretty much every manufacturer.

I am extremely glad that I can buy them here in the UK. I hope that you can get them in the US soon ;-)

sb

Thanks everyone.

My reserved thoughts were for the price (I'm in Canada), it's rather expensive for what you get. It's about $10 more than neopax and it doesn't come with a protector (which cost about $24 for 4). The thigh pack I've been having issues with right out of the gate, having the transmitter somehow falls out (lectro smv) even with the rubber lining inside the pouch. Plus they only come in large pouch for thighs. I find it slightly too roomy for a smv. I just took an extra Velcro from a neopax and stored it on top so it can't fall out anymore.

I haven't tried the other products yet. They feel nice though. I really wish it just came with the pouch protectors.

8 hours ago, GNinja said:

Thanks everyone.

My reserved thoughts were for the price (I'm in Canada), it's rather expensive for what you get. It's about $10 more than neopax and it doesn't come with a protector (which cost about $24 for 4). The thigh pack I've been having issues with right out of the gate, having the transmitter somehow falls out (lectro smv) even with the rubber lining inside the pouch. Plus they only come in large pouch for thighs. I find it slightly too roomy for a smv. I just took an extra Velcro from a neopax and stored it on top so it can't fall out anymore.

I haven't tried the other products yet. They feel nice though. I really wish it just came with the pouch protectors.

Pouch Protectors

x-PP-3-edited-square.jpg

x-PP-6-edited-square.jpg

I agree. Neopax gives you two per strap. Don't get me wrong, the material for the Ursa is nice, but really, a protector should be included for that price. The thigh pack with the rubber grip seems to work well but the one suppose to stop the transmitter from sliding out is not doing its job well.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was filling in for the regular mixer for a few days, and I used these on the diva lead actress (had just picked them up days before). Used the waist and thigh. She loved them so much she demanded to the AD that the regular mixer use these when he returned. Keeping talent happy is good for business. 

We have been using URSA's for a couple of years now, giving feedback from the prototype 

R&D period.

I have completely replaced my whole belt and pouch inventory with URSA's after more than three A list actresses asked to keep their URSA thigh straps at the end of different shows.

We have found that as soon as we demo the URSA straps to the Costume dept in pre production any fears they had about my team rigging difficult costumes evaporate and we encounter a lot of goodwill between costume and sound.

Trew Audio do appear to stock them now: https://www.trewaudio.com/?s=ursa&post_type=product

As do Remote Audio: http://remoteaudio.com/ursa-products/

If you are ever in the UK you can also purchase them from us at Wendys Broadcast Services if required. We find that the thigh straps are extremly popular as we sometimes struggle to keep them in stock!

This has been awhile but I'd like to give my input now with the ursa products.

Ankle Straps - Overall these are much better, especially on hot days as these seem to breathe better than the neopax. They are also good under skinny jeans or like it as it's a slightly lower profile than the neopax as well. The only thing I can say that is a con, if it is at all, is that the ability to slide it into the pouch during a battery change takes a bit longer than a neopax. This can be probably be fixed if you add a strap over it to help pull one side open and slide the transmitter in. Otherwise, it's a solid strap to use in the bag.

Thigh Straps - This is is a love and hate relationship. I really like the fact that it has an antislip material on the inside and they are lower profile than neopax. HOWEVER, I really wish they make a horizontal pouch because it slims the actual surface area I have to hide underneath a dress. There is a bit of anti slip in the pouch and I have tried to flip it upside down, but More times than I would like, it has slipped out of the pouch. What I would really like to see is the neopax horizontal thigh pack but with the ursa material. That would be gold and the female actors would love it if the antenna doesn't poke them... if you know what I mean.

Waist Straps - Same thing with the ankle. Solid.

Soft Circles - In terms of quality, These are far superior compared to the rycote. In terms of quantity, They are expensive for the amount you get compared to rycote. If you are able to grab the mic before actors pull them off, then you can save the soft circles and reuse them many, many times. If you lose one, cost-wise it's expensive vs losing a rycote undercover. You'll have to determine the situation if this is worth it. I've used it for one show where the actors are very good at meeting me to be de-wired so I can save the soft circles vs the actors on the show I'm on now that they will rip them off themselves and may lose the circles before I get to them. Bottom line: if you can manage saving them or have a budget for losing them, then go for it.

That's all I have for now. Again, it's different from person to person and from situation to situation. Use your best judgement if these products may work for you. At best, The ankles are solid and can't go wrong with them.

Hope this helps someone.

Most of the URSA products are available through Remote Audio dealers in the US. The thigh version is currently the only URSA pouch and strap available at this time to test the market, chosen because of the unique tactile "Gripper" strip that prevents the strap from sliding down the thigh. I used them on the "Nashville" show (plenty of flimsy, tight skirts on that show), and it worked like nothing else available in terms of low profile, comfort, and staying up where it's placed. Other products include the chest strap, soft circles, soft tape (very low profile, very sticky back, moleskin in a variety of precut strips. Soon to be available are the URSA pouches, which are the pouches with belt loop. These can be used a number of ways, such as sewn into custumes or attached to the back of bra, using the belt loop. Good to have several well-made options with different features from different manufactures for the daily grind of hiding wireless mics.

Got a URSA chest strap from Trew (Thanks Glen). It does indeed stay up better than the Neopax mic bra. However. 

1) It's expensive compared to the Neopax

2) It's only 40" long total. If you consider 2" for velcro, it's 38". I have a 40" chest and it just fits. 

My vision for this was to use it on football players, coaches, etc. They don't have 40" chests. Hopefully they will make a larger size, and drop the price. Or Neopax will put sticky stuff on a new version of their mic bra. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Been trying to get some waist straps but was it's told that Ursa cannot sell them in the US due to legal issues with Neopax. I have the chest straps and they work very well. 

Can anyone confirm and/or get a bead on where to get waist straps in the US?