User equipment setup and configuration

TommygunZA

I have just taken delivery of my SD 633, upgrading from my 302 (which Ill keep to add 2 more mic inputs to the 633)

Anyway...

I'm going through the settings on my mixer and getting things configured to the way I think I will be using it mostly. Is there a place here for a thread about users setups of their pieces of equipment and their personal configuration. Maybe headphone assigns and why, outputs, metadata setup etc. I'm sure there are many people here who have nifty tricks and reasons for particular configs and setups that I would never think about or have not come across. It would be good for me to read what people think are essential to their setup and workflow. Maybe have a thread for each unique piece of equipment and the users setups and reasons under that?  

This would also be useful for people hiring gear they were not that familiar with or when they buy new gear. I could just search the thread for Sound devices 633 and find 5 different peoples setups, maybe they are all the same, or maybe all different or there is overlap.

Or, you could place the manual in your bathroom and read it over a number of times and configure the unit to operate in a way that is best for your specific workflow...  It's an easy machine to configure, not much in the way of hidden or difficult to understand settings.

Most of us have used this method to great success... (maybe not the bathroom, but works for me. At least I know I will read it over and over..) You will also learn more about the unit this way.  Simply copying others set ups does not do you much good when you need to know WHY something was set that way..

I don't say that to be an ass, but you really do learn the most from your gear that way..   It is definitely the starting point to learn all you can.. 

There are a few tricks to the machine that you will pick up on this forum and by word of mouth, but really know that manual and you will be 90% up to speed and on top of that recorder. Many of the items in the menu are simple carryover from other machines, SD and others... frame rate etc...

AFMY makes an excellent point. 

I find that spending time with the manual after I am familiar with a piece of gear reveals a wealth of tips and nuances that I see people dazed and confused about here on a regular basis.

Many of the unique inner workings covered by any decent manual don't register until after the basics are well learned.

7 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

AFMY makes an excellent point. 

I find that spending time with the manual after I am familiar with a piece of gear reveals a wealth of tips and nuances that I see people dazed and confused about here on a regular basis.

Many of the unique inner workings covered by any decent manual don't register until after the basics are well learned.

+11

XOXOX Mr. Blankenship.