Richard Thomas

Rycote Baseball

16 posts in this topic

What's the difference between this and say a Schoeps B5D and W5D?

Cool! 

How would this compare to a super softie on those mics? Less wind protection, more transparent?

-Mike

Any info about chroma key?

- £29.00 from PinkNoise

17 hours ago, VAS said:

Any info about chroma key?

We've started in black (very creative of us) but to make different colours isn't too difficult if there's a demand.

18 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

Cool! 

How would this compare to a super softie on those mics? Less wind protection, more transparent?

-Mike

Mike - The Baseball is only 75mm (3") diameter, so performs much less than the larger Super-Softie in terms of wind reduction. It's really as a step up from a regular foam gag, but below that of say the BBG windshield to reduce the "swoosh" from fast re-cue's. The structure is an open cell foam, exactly the same as in the Super & Classic-Softies, with a fine version of the fleece from our original Hi Wind Covers. The Baseball is finished off with a very fine rubber seal on the back - which is smaller than the Softie end cap, and therefore less likely to cause any reflections.

Cheers, Simon

21 hours ago, CMSD said:

What's the difference between this and say a Schoeps B5D and W5D?

The construction's quite different (as Simon described), but it does a similar job.  Also fits other manufacturer's microphones

Would adding a windjammer on top make an effective outdoor windscreen?

5 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Maybe, although I don't know of any that size.  Another alternative is the Rode WS8, which is similar but with a fur exterior

56 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Yes, we've had some of the beta-testers who've added a Windjammer to give additional protection. They used 5cm Smoothie Windjammers from memory. That said - for the most part though, the testers only used the Baseball for interiors and it stayed on the mics (dominated mainly by DPA4018C, MKH 50, MKH8050 & Schoeps CMC's).

5 hours ago, Simon Davies said:

We've started in black (very creative of us) but to make different colours isn't too difficult if there's a demand.

Cheers, Simon

Thanks, Simon

5 hours ago, Simon Davies said:

Cheers, Simon

How about white with red piping?  (kidding)

I'm in for one in black!

2 hours ago, Simon Davies said:

Yes, we've had some of the beta-testers who've added a Windjammer to give additional protection. They used 5cm Smoothie Windjammers from memory. That said - for the most part though, the testers only used the Baseball for interiors and it stayed on the mics (dominated mainly by DPA4018C, MKH 50, MKH8050 & Schoeps CMC's).

I like the baseball form because it look not very threatening, so it would be a good choice for documentary projects  - a small windjammer would be nice since it might allow to keep in on even on semi-open areas.

27 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

I like the baseball form because it look not very threatening, so it would be a good choice for documentary projects  - a small windjammer would be nice since it might allow to keep in on even on semi-open areas.

Thanks. A short pile black fur Windjammer will be added to the price list Chris - cheers, Simon

Agreed, small windjammer would be great! I have been using my tester baseball (thanks Simon!) mainly indoors on an MKH50 but would be nice to be able to venture outdoors on light wind days and not have to go into the zeppelin. Having said that I live on the coast and light wind days are rare!

Just picked one up from my local shop in Chicago. Saw the three pack, and joked with the owner that if a green one is ever made it should be rebranded the tennis ball.