Baby Ball Gag for CMC RIg

George Tarrant

I have been using a fur ball wind gag that I got from Rick Patton in Vancouver (RIP Rick) a number of years ago. It's a combo of fur and foam and pops directly over the CMC much like a regular pop filter. This rig works well for fast interior moves and is ok for outside use with winds up to say 10 mph. I'd like to be able to use a similar rig with better wind protection and am looking at the Rycote Baby Ball Gag but have a few questions. Is this rig still usable when the GVC swivel is added between capsule and pre amp as in will the gag interfere with the mount and does it fit securely on the actual swivel? Will it still provide good protection in winds 20-30 mph? I have a couple of exterior sets where the swivel is necessary (under front porch of house ) and interior barn with open doors and relativley low ceiling. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Vas. I think the Rycote Baseball is quite similar to what I'm using now...more of an interior use but would work for light wind in an exterior situation. Wasn't aware of the Cinela Leonard 20 which certainly looks to be a good alternative. Have you used the Cinela with the swivel attached?

27 minutes ago, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

How does the baseball compare to your leo in terms of transparency daniel?

I don't know. I spent all my money on the Leo :- ). Well not quite all of it. I'll get to hear the difference at some point but reading Simon Davies answer on the 'Rycote Baseball' thread perhaps the baseball is not as effective with wind but a bit more transparent. The Leo as the advantage of being able to put a fur over it for greater wind protection or even a lighter material over the 'bucky ball' than the standard Cinela fabric  (which covers the ball in 2 pieces) so making it more transparent (which I may try, as to me the Leo is certainly not totally transparent). Leo probably sits between 'baseball' and 'BBG' in terms of transparency and effectiveness.