Rycote lyre indestructable?

Ben C

Hey everyone.

I noticed that Rycote claims their lyre mounts are "virtually indestructible". Just wondering if anyone here has damaged one, or if you know what it takes to break one. I might have to buy a replacement lyre and put it to the test myself if nobody has any experience with this!

17 hours ago, unseenbeach said:

Hey everyone.

I noticed that Rycote claims their lyre mounts are "virtually indestructible". Just wondering if anyone here has damaged one, or if you know what it takes to break one. I might have to buy a replacement lyre and put it to the test myself if nobody has any experience with this!

The Lyres are relatively simple in construction, and made from a material called Hytrel that shouldn't stress fracture or break, even when abused. That said, if you get one that does fail - please let me know as I'd want to see it. We make quite a few of them, and manufacturing does occasionally spew out weird parts with crystalline parts. We'd swap that out immediately if that happened. Cheers, Simon

2 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

Had I known that I would have sent some universal lyers that I bought a few years ago back to be checked out. They never really held a 19mm mic correctly. Mic always.moved and would eventually have come off the lyers. 

Sorry about that Glen - if you've still got them email me directly with Simon at rycote.com

Hey Simon,

I have an Inv7 HG MKIII with a broken set of lyres. Can I receive a set of replacement lyres? I would gladly send pics or the actual lyres if you wish. But first, I must admit that I had epoxy glued the suspension to the clip to eliminate a squeak that developed. I'm not sure if the glue weakened the integrity of the lyre suspensions, but I am down one Inv7 HG MKIII mount.

Denzil X.

On 22/02/2017 at 9:24 PM, DSX said:

Hey Simon,

I have an Inv7 HG MKIII with a broken set of lyres. Can I receive a set of replacement lyres? I would gladly send pics or the actual lyres if you wish. But first, I must admit that I had epoxy glued the suspension to the clip to eliminate a squeak that developed. I'm not sure if the glue weakened the integrity of the lyre suspensions, but I am down one Inv7 HG MKIII mount.

Denzil X.

Hi Denzil, sorry to hear that - shoot me a quick email to simon at rycote.com 

Cheers, Simon

On 23/02/2017 at 0:35 AM, osa said:

I broke one and i swear i kept it! Gonna dig tonite... i agree that nothing is indestructible 

-Ken

Please drop me a line Ken

I have a pair of stiffer grey lyres that I use with an ORTF pair of 8040's plus softies for outdoor use and broke two lyres within the first couple months of regular use.  I think both broke somehow during transport (no mic) when carried loose in a run bag.  Both are currently epoxy'd at the break (base of the lyre) and working fine until I receive a replacement set.   

Learned years ago to always carry a backup set of lyres.  When you set your boom down, make sure it never tips over.
IMG_8778.thumb.JPG.60f0f9f3465e4a70417b53667c4f54e0.JPG

Also good advice if you don't want to break your mic ;)
In my case, I have never had broken lyres. Instead they actually saved my mic once, in the above mentioned scenario where the boom tipped over and the mic fell on its face. The lyres allowed it to move back that the fall was cushioned sufficiently.

I definitely have a broken lyre.  I was using it with my DPA 4017B and heard a rattle.  I had no idea it was supposed to be "indestructible" so I bought a new one.  I'm not sure when it happened but I'm pretty sure it wasn't under extreme conditions.  It broke in the same place as the one in the photograph.