OyinSound

What do I do?

I am a freelance sound recordist based in Nigeria. I love this job so much.  But you know, as a freelance,  jobs don't come always. My question is this,  what exactly do i do at those times when jobs don't come? I don't have my equipments yet so i can't be playing with equipments  etc..  Please can anyone suggest blogs to me where i can download videos and tutorials as regards location sound recording? I will also take suggestions on what to do with my spare time cos at times i have too much of it.  Lastly,  if anyone is coming to Nigeria or any African countries to work,  I'm always here to assist. Thanks. 

Hi Oyin,

Read as many as possible topics here. You will get a lot of lessons (not only sound related). I learned a lot reading the JWSOUND. Also, good resource is the 695 Quarterly. Read "An Open Letter from Your Sound Department". Watch Matt Price, YouTube channel. I am suggesting two books. One is Sound-on-film: Interviews with Creators of Film Sound. Second is Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures: A Guide to the Invisible Art.

Best
V

I second purcells "Dialogue editing for motion pictures: A guide to the invisible art.   ". Really enlightening. However, strongly suggest the non E-book version.   Some of diagrams and screen shots are too hard to see on a tablet....