zaxcom 742 as stereo transmitter for zaxcom 200

Prahlad Strickland

51 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

Sorry you can't feed the RX200 tc via zaxnet. The RX200 can only receive tc that's embedded in the uhf signal.

Hello all, I'm glad Jack caught that. I wasn't thinking about that zaxnet tc comment. I guess I'm thinking your still ok, your still going to get timecode to the rx200,  even if you don't want it. 

Sincerely, Martin 

Thanks for the replies.   I see,  well the 742 would still be recieving TC from the nomad zaxnet right?, and forwarding to the RX200??,  Can anyone confirm this?,  I can't see why that wouldn't work?

I plan to run it on the upper register of block 23 and the bag receivers on block middle to lower 21, 

It's just temporary, but a cool backup to the camera link long term and other setups.   

I know someone who very successfully uses 742 (stereo / twin feed cone) with RX200, I'll see if I can get him to join in here........
I believe the 742 can embed TC in UHF can't it?
Anyway he's done it successfully, and also accurately tested the TC for latency and the delay is negligible.

6 hours ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

Thanks for the replies.   I see,  well the 742 would still be recieving TC from the nomad zaxnet right?, and forwarding to the RX200??,  Can anyone confirm this?,  I can't see why that wouldn't work?

I plan to run it on the upper register of block 23 and the bag receivers on block middle to lower 21, 

It's just temporary, but a cool backup to the camera link long term and other setups.   

Prahlad, I understand your thinking about the Zaxnet, it's really easy to get lost in the explanation. There is not Zaxnet forwarding from the transmitter to the rx200. There are no zaxnet frequency settings in the RX200. Or any other Zaxnet settings in the RX200 for that matter. The RX200 is obtaining the TC from the UHF signal from the transmitter. Your still getting to go to the dance, your just not getting there how you thought you were. I will admit, that was odd for me when I started using RX200, but it finally sank in.

Sincerely, Martin 

4 hours ago, pindrop said:

I know someone who very successfully uses 742 (stereo / twin feed cone) with RX200, I'll see if I can get him to join in here........
I believe the 742 can embed TC in UHF can't it?
Anyway he's done it successfully, and also accurately tested the TC for latency and the delay is negligible.

Pindrop, Great, now I have to go test the RX200 to see how the TC stacks up to all the other components. I never thought about that one. Maybe I will go test that tonight.

Sincerely, Martin

18 minutes ago, Glen Deakin said:

the rx200 is a beast. In a good way. 

Glen, Yes it is. I just never gave any thought to any possibility that it could be, in any measurable way, not in sync with everything else. I'm just accustomed to thinking in terms of Zaxnet and how super accurate that is. You could shoot for 2 weeks and if you had external power running to the ERX, you would still have sync. 

Sincerely, Martin 

When I say the 742 would be receiving TC from the Nomad and forwarding to the rx200,  i'm not saying it would forward via zaxnet, I meant it would forward as you explained earlier embedded in the UHF feed, correct?

Receives TC from zaxnet, embeds in the UHF.  Well at least if it can do this than it would work.

12 hours ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

The 742 can receive TC via ZaxNet and then send that TC over UHF to the RX200.

1 hour ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Pin, Which definition of the word Coy are you referring to? What is meant by your question, what are you trying to gather?

sincerely, Martin 

"reluctant to give details about something regarded as sensitive"

In that the recommended route might be to use the TRX900CL Camera Link, and not the TRX743/2 as a camera link, though the 742/3 has been shown to be capable of Zaxnet to UHF timecode translation without any significant latency?
This ability is not mentioned on the website, the firmware release notes / version history, or the manuals, as far as I am aware. It's quite a useful ability, and means you don't lose ther TC ability of the RX200 by using the 742/3 as a camera hop.

Does the 742/3 have 100Mhz of bandwidth compared with the 40Mhz of the CL which is also quite a useful ability?
Apparently the TRX900CL has 'a band pass filter that eliminates interference to receivers spaced 1 block away or better from the TRX900CL block.' Though I don't know what this means really or what real difference it might make to incoming talent TX range when used in the same bag as a QRX for example?

The 742/3 might have the ability to keep well clear of any significant range reduction anyway with it's 100Mhz bandwidth?
It seems possible......

9 hours ago, pindrop said:

"reluctant to give details about something regarded as sensitive"

In that the recommended route might be to use the TRX900CL Camera Link, and not the TRX743/2 as a camera link, though the 742/3 has been shown to be capable of Zaxnet to UHF timecode translation without any significant latency?
This ability is not mentioned on the website, the firmware release notes / version history, or the manuals, as far as I am aware. It's quite a useful ability, and means you don't lose ther TC ability of the RX200 by using the 742/3 as a camera hop.

Does the 742/3 have 100Mhz of bandwidth compared with the 40Mhz of the CL which is also quite a useful ability?
Apparently the TRX900CL has 'a band pass filter that eliminates interference to receivers spaced 1 block away or better from the TRX900CL block.' Though I don't know what this means really or what real difference it might make to incoming talent TX range when used in the same bag as a QRX for example?

The 742/3 might have the ability to keep well clear of any significant range reduction anyway with it's 100Mhz bandwidth?
It seems possible......

Pin, There are a lot of things you can mix and match that aren't on manufacturers websites. I can use the old aes42 attachment on one of the old transmitters to send to rx200 also, but it might not be on there site, because they don't make them anymore. I don't think their hiding anything, or coy. You have to admit, the 742 or 743 is an odd form factor to do this with. With the old transmitter, I can turn the trans power all the way down, keep it about 3.5 feet (about a meter) away from the other receivers, and have no interference. 

Sincerely, Martin 

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 8:29 PM, MartinTheMixer said:

Pin, There are a lot of things you can mix and match that aren't on manufacturers websites. I can use the old aes42 attachment on one of the old transmitters to send to rx200 also, but it might not be on there site, because they don't make them anymore. I don't think their hiding anything, or coy. You have to admit, the 742 or 743 is an odd form factor to do this with. With the old transmitter, I can turn the trans power all the way down, keep it about 3.5 feet (about a meter) away from the other receivers, and have no interference. 

Sincerely, Martin 

I run the 742 at 25mw on my boom while carrying the bag all the time, almost always, doesn't seem to effect the range much of the talent TX running on the same block range.