Does my Zax-Maxx record in encoded M/S stereo??

kevdurr

Hi I will admit but I'm a new Zaxcom user and I purchased a Maxx recently. 

It is possible to record and monitor encoded MS in the Maxx? If so how? I have checked the forums and I'm seeing some mentions of M/S monitoring but I'm not seeing any detailed info on how to encode MS in Maxx in 96kHz.

I emailed support and they told me I should be doing this in post. I was hoping Zaxcom could perform a simple MS task like most audio recorders do like a Sound Devices, Zoom,  or Tascam.

What martin wrote for listenining encoded MS, plus make the same on Main OUT 1&2 matrix:

mic1 (mid) mic2(side) to OUT1

mic1 and mic2 (phase reversed) to OUT2

and then record card3=OUT1 and card4=OUT2 to record decoded MS stereo signal.

So you'll have encoded MS on card 1&2 (mid on1 and side on2) and decoded stereo signal on card 3&4

23 minutes ago, zerascal said:

What martin wrote for listenining encoded MS, plus make the same on Main OUT 1&2 matrix:

mic1 (mid) mic2(side) to OUT1

mic1 and mic2 (phase reversed) to OUT2

and then record card3=OUT1 and card4=OUT2 to record decoded MS stereo signal.

So you'll have encoded MS on card 1&2 (mid on1 and side on2) and decoded stereo signal on card 3&4

Zerascal, My music experience is limited to singing in the shower, but, if you forgot to do the routing as you mentioned, couldn't you do all that in post? Or am I thinking wrong?

All that stuff you mentioned, Sound Devices is doing that with just a setting? Yes?

Sincerely, Martin 

Yep Martin, all that could and should be done in post, you just need to record Mid on card 1 and Side on card 2.

The method I described with OUT1&2 is to deliver a stereo mix (if no post for example) that couldn't be change or adjust later.

Indeed SD has a setting for doing that.

Zerascal, ok. And just to make sure in case a beginner is reading this in the future, or now I guess, we are referring to card track 1 and card track 2, this is not referring to recording to different data cards. I know to all of us this is obvious, but when your a beginner, sometimes things sound confusing. I know I have explained things either to a beginner or a non sound person in production, and the explanation made sense to me, but they were confused. They had that look. And doesn't everyone's explanation make sense to themselves? Ha. I have told someone "that's a digital mic" and they say "so it plugs into usb?" Or they say, "aren't all mics digital now"? I like that one. 

Sincerely, Martin