DPA 4060 wireless

Donald Kauffman

Hi Guys

Apologies if this is a noob question but I'm going to be using a wireless system for the first time (rental). I own 2 DPA4060s and I would really like to use them wirelessly. But I'm wondering if there is another way to connect them to a wireless system without having to spend 172 Euro just on the 2 DPA mini-jack adapters? Would I be asking for trouble by using a cheap XLR to mini jack adapter instead?

Thanks in advance

Donald, if you are still on this thread, I've worked with the YPAs, but they have let me down in critical situations:  the tiny thread for the microdot connectors was not long enough to make for a sturdy connection.  DAP adapters @ triple price sport one winding more, which makes for a reliable connection !

Resulted in ugly dropouts with some actor's movements. It took me several incidents of not knowing what caused the bumps and dropouts until I found it was the connector that was critical on the ankle when it came to skintight pants or on the back with a little sweat and tight clothes. I was using the Lectro-TA5 variant and this happened in 2014, so maybe YPA has already improved the design.

I have some of the YPA adapters for getting Lectro connectored mics into Shure wireless and vice versa as well as Lectro into a mini-jack Tascam DR10.  They are ok, but only ok, and I had some that were intermittent right out of the box.  If you go that way buy multiples, thus--they ship directly from China so the transport takes some time.  If I had DPA mics I'd for sure stick with their adapters even if they are more expensive.

22 hours ago, Constantin said:

Just in case you're still considering this: it won't work. The XLR MicroDot adapter needs phantom power. So all the adapters VAS linked to are unsuitable.

I didn't know that. Thank you Constantin!

On 3/3/2017 at 6:50 PM, Constantin said:

Just in case you're still considering this: it won't work. The XLR MicroDot adapter needs phantom power. So all the adapters VAS linked to are unsuitable.

OK good to know. Thanks. And thanks for the info on the YPAs, doesn't sound worth it at all. Has anyone tried these...http://www.ebay.com/itm/DPA-MICRODOT-MICROPHONE-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-TO-SENNHEISER-3-5mm-LOCKING-JACK-PLUG-/280709486205#shpCntId 

If you are not quite shure how often you are going to use your DPAs wirelessly, it is perhaps just easier for the moment to get your rental wireless including suitable lavs. So you don't have to spend that much for some adapters, that just get dusty after the shoot.

If you WANT to buy the right adapters, I absolutely recommend the ones from DPA. They are very high quality built and it could happen that you have enough struggle with a lav itself  (i.e. if you're hiding it), so a well built adapter would be one less thing to worry about.

On 3/8/2017 at 3:24 PM, cbsixty said:

If you are not quite shure how often you are going to use your DPAs wirelessly, it is perhaps just easier for the moment to get your rental wireless including suitable lavs. So you don't have to spend that much for some adapters, that just get dusty after the shoot.

If you WANT to buy the right adapters, I absolutely recommend the ones from DPA. They are very high quality built and it could happen that you have enough struggle with a lav itself  (i.e. if you're hiding it), so a well built adapter would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks yeah you see I'm mainly a post guy so it would only be the odd occasion I'd use them. So your rental suggestion is probably a good shout. Would just have been nice to be able to use the dpas from time to time