Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Professional Audio

Built in production quality sound recording

URSA Mini Pro has a high quality microphone and professional audio recorder built right in so you don’t have to carry around extra sound equipment! Use the built in stereo microphone to record natural location sound or connect professional microphones using the two XLR wide dynamic range mic inputs. The XLR connections have 48V of switchable phantom power so you can plug in everything from shot gun to wireless clip on mics for capturing every detail of the performance. You can quickly adjust levels using the external knobs and monitor audio using the onscreen audio meters.

On the plus side they say it has improved mic preamps and even better, it features AES in and 48/24 sampling, so a camera feed from say a 633 should be pristine.

They mention 4 channels audio but from the info I've read it's unclear how channel 3 and 4 will be input. I guess either it's two from the built-in mic and two from the XLR, but would be cool if they included two dual channel AES.

Timecode is mentioned to drift less then 1 frame over 19hours.

From the camera person side the most important thing is built-in ND filters with IR protection and swappable mounts.  Pretty amazing camera for the price. colours are still a bit problematic but which digital camera other then Alexa isn't.

chris

• 4 weeks later...

here's an update on the audio specs:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/ursa-mini-pro-blackmagic-reveals-new-audio-specs/

1: Audio signal to noise specification from XLR inputs.

Answers:

XLR MIC Preamp has E.I.N. (Equivalent Input Noise) = -128 dBV(A) or better.

XLR LINE input has a typical Noise Floor = -118 dBFS(A) or better.

XLR MIC Back Up has a typical Noise Floor = -117 dBFS(A).

2: Available audio gain in dB (decibels) from XLR inputs, for example, +60 db.

Answers:

LINE input has fixed gain to support maximum +24 dBu.

MIC Preamp Gain Range = +10 to +65 dB.

MIC Preamp PAD = -20 dB.

MIC Preamp Input Signal Range (for 0dBFS) without 20dB PAD = -50 to +5 dBu.

MIC Preamp Input Signal Range (for 0dBFS) with 20dB PAD on = -30 to +25 dBu.

3: Is there now an audio limiter?

Blackmagic responded that although there is no limiter, there is a mic backup audio channel, which can capture high audio signals (up to +24dbu) that would cause clipping on the high gain mic preamp.

This concept of a backup channel is something that I have covered in prior articles, and is sometimes called “audio bracketing”.

4: Can the microphone on the TRRS headset be used for an interviewer audio track?

The URSA Mini Pro camera has a TRRS headset (which Blackmagic calls an “iPhone microphone”) for talkback to/from from the producer or director. I asked whether the connected microphone could be routed to a particular track to be recorded as an interviewer track.