G3 system as "Comtek" IEM

RPSharman

Hello all,

So I've read the manual and am confident I've set things up properly in terms of gain, etc.

My director was complaining about my Comteks. They're clean and the other 15 people on them have no issue. Our Scripty would tell me if she had a problem, of that I can assure you. I've swapped headphones and receivers, and he's still unhappy. 

So I set up my G3 IEM system I bought a while back. People say they're great as IEM. But I listened and am not convinced they're any better at all than my Comteks. 

I'm using belt back transmitter. Is it just an issue of low RF output or dirty channel? Scanned on Lectro to find clean area, and tested it at 20ft. Just hissy and not great. 

Is there something I'm missing? Really reluctant to switch to IFB just for this one guy, but he's at the top of the TV game, and I'm sure is eyeing features. Don't want to be the guy he remembers with shitty IEMs.

Robert 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used the EK300 in a long time, but I did just use my regular G2's to feed some dinky-cams.  They actually sounded perfectly fine (way too good as a scratch track, IMO)

I believe you have to turn off the pilot tone on the transmitter to get the EK300 to hear the signal, maybe it's on?

Hi Robert,

I can't help with your problem, but, my conclusion is, other than a Lectro IFB or a like unit... they all sound pretty bad to me... I have tried comteks 72/216 75a's, Listen units in 72 and 216 and they all sound "poor" to me. I have tried all kinds of headsets too... For content monitoring, they are all fine like you say, but other than a hardwired distro box with a pair of Sony's or other decent headset, they sound poor and would drive me crazy after a while... but, that's me..   An IFB may be your quick and easy way out here..

My old G2+G3s (not IEM type but regular wireless) work fine for this, no noisier than a 216 Comtek, a bit less harsh sounding, ok range.  My main issue with them for this purpose is that they don't really get very loud for headphone output compared to Comteks and IFBs.  You might have an issue with the antenna on your TX, if you are sure you've wired into the TX correctly and the freq is clear.  Do you have another Senn G type TX you can try?

I do. In England. So I'll need to wait to try it. The Tx has SMA mod for antenna, which I'm pretty confident was done correctly. I have used my other G3 set for wireless playback to a speaker with success, so not sure why these sound so bad. 

I'll play around a bit on the next slow day. 

24 minutes ago, jason porter said:

I haven't used the EK300 in a long time, but I did just use my regular G2's to feed some dinky-cams.  They actually sounded perfectly fine (way too good as a scratch track, IMO)

I believe you have to turn off the pilot tone on the transmitter to get the EK300 to hear the signal, maybe it's on?

I hear it. Just not very nice. Hissy and pumpy. 

I've played around with the Lectros, Comteks, Zaxcom ERXs, and the Sennheiser G3 IEMs. I settled on the Sennheisers sounding the best in my opinion. I thought the others had less quality whether that be hissy, or thiner sounding. But there are even differences between some of my G3s, and I assume some need to go in for a tuneup. :)

I have a G3 and IEM that I recently brought for boom ops. To me it sounds just as good if not better then my R1a's and has comparable range. Definitely not hissy.

I find that the headphone volume on the IEM at around 3 or 4 (Not O'clock) gives a good monitoring level.

Mode set to Focus and Balance set to L+R

Pilot tone on, on my G3. I have read people needing to have it off.

Coming out of my Nomad at line level.

I'm new to the system but that's the settings that are working for me.

I'm sure you will have checked all the things like using the proper Ohm-age for your headphone, squelch can be adjusted as well, basically check all settings, like you said you would.
"Hissy and pumpy" is what it sounds like when tx and rx use a different compander. That is the case when as a transmitter you are using the 3000 series. But that is unlikely as look really differently. Except for the SKP tx which looks really similar to the G3 series skp.
But I have a feeling that's not it.
Your unit could just be broken. Or the input cable. If it's the original one, they tend to break at some point

Pilot tone on, on my G3. I have read people needing to have it off.

Are you using the rackmount tx to transmit? In that case the pilot tone can be on.

Constantin, I'm using a EW300 body pack TX and EW300 IEM.
Cheers Nate.

Interesting. Technically, this shouldn't be possible, so I'm curious how you did it. The receiver needs a stereo pilot which obviously the sk300 can't provide... So how did you do that? I'd much prefer to have pilot always onof possible

22 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Interesting. Technically, this shouldn't be possible, so I'm curious how you did it. The receiver needs a stereo pilot which obviously the sk300 can't provide... So how did you do that? I'd much prefer to have pilot always onof possible

You are correct Constantin.

Pilot tone is actually set to inactive on the IEM just like my brain was set to inactive when I typed my earlier response. I shouldn't respond until I've had my morning coffee intake.

Cheers Nate. 

I recently change to Lectro IFB for boom. But I carry 15 Comtek receivers, which are routinely out in full force. The move to Lectro would be costly, assuming 15 at a price difference of $300 (selling/buying) - $4500. 

This is the only time I've had an issue, so just trying to placate a single client. If I can get G3 going ok, then I'd like that. 

18 minutes ago, RPSharman said:

I recently change to Lectro IFB for boom. But I carry 15 Comtek receivers, which are routinely out in full force. The move to Lectro would be costly, assuming 15 at a price difference of $300 (selling/buying) - $4500. 

This is the only time I've had an issue, so just trying to placate a single client. If I can get G3 going ok, then I'd like that. 

Yes understood, maybe something to work towards in the future............. I have 14 now and have found they pay for themselves fairly quickly.

Hi Robert-
An unwelcome suggestion perhaps but long ago I concluded that the majority of people listening at the Village didn't need anything offering critical listening so I continued to use my older Comteks. But, I preferred to have a good quality option for the director and, maybe, the producer as well. For that reason, rather than replacing all my Comteks, I added a Lectro IFB system to my kit. In your application, you might add just one receiver with, possibly, a second sometime down the road. Of course, you do have to have that dedicated transmitter so it's an expensive move but I think you'll be more comfortable with your system if you make the commitment. (Always assuming you aren't working a short-term or micro budget project at the moment.)

David

Robert- But I guess getting the next job is just as important. 

It's not just that (important as that is). It can be very helpful if the Director hears something close to what you hear. Many directors, the majority I expect, don't listen critically but the ones that do may support you when they hear problems. It's an infrequent benefit but welcome when it occurs.

David

I use a sennheiser 2000 Tx set at hi power with a G3 iem for boom and a G3 for scratch track sounds way better then my comtek 216 system.....range wise the comtek bst75/216with sna antenna gives me best range(300 plus metres)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk