Lectrosonics Sra weak reception

Lancashire soundie

I suspect one of my two SRa's needs to be looked at.  The good one is rock solid, never drops out.  However, even at short range, the suspect one seems to dip in and out of good reception quite regularly.  Both are on standard whips, on ch38 in the UK.  Today I had two people on radios, at a distance, running around on a field.  So I used one receiver to pick those two channels up, which worked fine.  I kept the other (suspect) receiver on, tuned to one of the mics, just to see what might happen.  As expected, the signal strength was regularly several pixels below that of the good receiver, and there were quite a few dropouts.  I even connected an SNA600 to one antenna, to no avail.

Is there anywhere in the UK who services these, or do they have to go back to the US?  And is there a better test than "I think this may be faulty" I could try before I consider sending it off?

A couple of years ago, I picked up a second hand SRa from a cameraman who had the same complaints about the SRa as you have.  I just thought that he wasn't using it right until I started using it and had the same problems.  After trying everything I could think of to figure out what the problem was, I took the case off to check out the insides and found that the antenna connections had never been soldered to the circuit board.  Two minutes with a soldering iron and the SRa worked like a champ with range almost as good as my 411s.  

2 authorized warranty repair centers in the UK:

United Kingdom Service & Support
Raycom Ltd
Langton House
19 Village St
Harvington
WR11 8NQ
United Kingdom

Main Tel:
+44 (0) 1789 777 040

Email

And

Audio Related Technology Ltd.

5 Phoenix Business Centre
Higham Road
Chesham, Buckinghamshire
HP5 2AJ
United Kingdom

Phone  +44 (0) 494 794 286

Fax +44 (0) 494 794 269

www.audiorelated.com

simon.griffet@audiorelated.com

15 hours ago, Bob Schuck said:

After trying everything I could think of to figure out what the problem was, I took the case off to check out the insides and found that the antenna connections had never been soldered to the circuit board.

This was an occasional problem with our carbon-based assembly machines (i.e. human beings).  If you feel at all comfortable with a screwdriver, you can check for this yourself.  Make sure your receiver is unhooked from its power source and remove the two screws at the top end near the control panel.  Gently slide back the case; you can see the red antenna wires protruding from the control panel between the two circuit boards.  You should be able to see a solder connection at both forks just behind the control panel rear surface; if there's no solder there and you feel comfortable doing it, very carefully solder the antenna wires.  If that's not it, Raycom or Audio Related can help you out.  If that IS it, my apologies.

Regards,

Wes Herron

Lectrosonics, Inc.