Scouting day rate

mojofunkster

Depends.  For something big and oddball with a bespoke equipment config, no question, full platter deal.  For a quick look-see to just check out a single location, maybe little or nothing if I'm free and the location is easy to get to.  If they want me on an official scout day with the director+producers and DP and G+E and Art, then it's regular labor rate.

If they're inviting you on a tech scout, they're expecting to pay a full day rate. No gear.

I have had some low budget shows not want to take me on scouts to save money. If I am available, and want to use the opportunity to meet the players before day one, then I'll see it as time well spent. But I might self drive and come and go as I please. If there's other work to be had, and they aren't paying, then I don't go.

I think there's great value in going on tech scouts. On TV in LA, we don't go, and we often get killed on locations where a simple fix for bad BG noise would have been available had we been on the scout. I have usually been able to negotiate scout days on low budget stuff for this exact reason. The say, "We're not going ot change the location, so why take you?" - My response is that because of that, it's important to gather information so we are prepared to make their locations work, even if they're not optimal.

Full labor day rate, no gear. Though you may be able to argue a box-rental if you're bringing things like RF scanners to get the RF lay of the land, basic recorder and microphone to capture some preliminary recordings to hear what the location sounds like (too reverberant? squeaky floors? fridges? outdoor traffic? planes? etc.).