Is this a Nagra inline mic power supply?

Paul5000

I came across this item and I can't find out any information about it.  The barrel slides open and allows you to put in (6) 1.5 volt button batteries in.  If it is a inline mic power supply, will it take the place of other power supplies.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. I was unable to upload any pictures

full.jpg

open.jpg

bottom.jpg

Can't say for sure without more information, especially pictures, but it sounds like a power supply for T-power that Sennheiser offered for their "04" series (MKH 404, MKH 805, etc.) microphones. With that battery supply in-line, one could plug the microphone into a regular 200-Ohm input. It worked fine but, as I recall, didn't run the microphone for more than a day, necessitating an expensive battery reload each work day. I think it would probably work (if you could afford to feed it) with "05" and "15" series Sennheisers as well and maybe also Schoeps. 

David

As I thought, a Sennheiser power supply. With the Tuchel connection, one would usually mount the power supply directly to the microphone, making a single, rigid cylinder, albeit about 3 inches longer. I believe the device could also be used anywhere in line between the microphone and regular preamp.

David

David's got it right --- I was looking for images myself before posting the answer and your images showed up and David confirmed the item. It was an accessory for the Sennheiser line of microphones and it was essentially a barrel with Tuchel to Tuchel connectors. I used this item a few times and thankfully the batteries lasted quite a long time because it wasn't too much fun loading all those button batteries, getting the polarity correct, etc.

Jeff Wexler: ...thankfully the batteries lasted quite a long time because it wasn't too much fun loading all those button batteries, getting the polarity correct, etc.

Thanks for the confirmation, Jeff. My recollection was that the batteries didn't have a long service life but I only used the device once or twice more than forty years ago. My memory might easily have been distorted by the nuisance aspect of buying and aligning all those cells.

David