Time code difference using tentacle sync and Arri Amira & Sony FS7

Bill Williams

I just received an interesting call from post. On a multi camera shoot with one Amira and 2 FS7s, the time code was off by exactly 1 frame. The Amira was back 1 frame and both of the FS7s were forward by one frame. Timecode was sourced from an SD633 at 23.98 using Tentacle Syncs to jam.  The timecode did not drift. It stayed exactly one frame, even after re-jamming. I worked with this same crew last year with the same cameras and the same editor. They said they did not see this problem last year. Finally, the cameras are opened by different operators. What am I missing here?

Is nudging one frame a big enough issue for them to actually call you about it? Lol. 

You can always check the tentacles by plugging them tc in into the 633, go to tc jam menu to check incoming tc against the internal clock. If there's no offset there then you know it's something with the cameras. I would guess the cameras have their own offsets, since it is consistent, not drifting.

Had the same problem with an Amira, complaints of one frame out, using Time Code Systems (Buddies), radio linked, so was absolutely confident that they were in sync.

Later went on to shoot some tests, which were a bit inconclusive (might depend what picture settings are being used?), but the Amira TC doesn't seem to be quite the same standard as the Alexa.

If you're not using tri-level sync (genlock) then isn't a +/- 1 frame offset par for the course? I also agree that a 1 frame offset is not something to bother with. I suspect post could easily deal with it. Calling you probably took longer than just fixing it would have.

Also, try convincing the cam ops to allow you to put a full-size Lockit or SBT on their camera now that they've seen the Tentacles.

5 hours ago, Derek H said:

If you're not using tri-level sync (genlock) then isn't a +/- 1 frame offset par for the course? I also agree that a 1 frame offset is not something to bother with. I suspect post could easily deal with it. Calling you probably took longer than just fixing it would have.

Also, try convincing the cam ops to allow you to put a full-size Lockit or SBT on their camera now that they've seen the Tentacles.

Thanks yes, should have mentioned I was using Genlock with TC Buddies, and it was still one frame out.

Am having 1 frame issues on a series I'm on at the moment using Amiras and Alexa minis. I worked on the same show last season with the same cameras , no problems . I'm finding out what software has changed in the cameras since then as this is the only change we can think of.

I had a similar issue on a production using Tentacle on a C300 and a TS-C slate.
Jammed to my 633 , always -1 frame on TS-C, +1 frame on Tentacle. 
When checked with 633, always showed as being frame accurate.

Was so easy to fix, never was really an issue - Never got to the bottom of it though.

R