Dereverb

katrinafairlee

Recently I was working on a little commercial video and one of the wild lines was recorded too far away from the subject. The reflections/reverb in the room are pretty bad and hard to match with everything else. I tried to use rx4s dereverb but I haven't gotten any results I really like. What makes it worse is they rerecorded the line but sent back something pretty similar and unusable. Just wondering if any one has used Zynaptic Unveil and if anyone preferred one or the other.

I just used both RX4 and Unveil on a trailer mix. Unveil has a demo you can download and try. 

They both work, differently, but they both worked. RX4 seemed to work better for light amounts of reverb, but produced artifacts more quickly that Unveil. Unveil didn't sound great when used lightly, but worked better than RX4 when more reduction was needed. YMMV - no reason not to try both. 

-Mike

In my experience when Unveil is used properly it's superior to RX. Not by a huge amount in most cases, but better. Being able to isolate the reverb frequency is huge. Neither is a silver bullet though. Especially not in the situation you're describing. If there is good mic proximity, but a very live room, you can get some pretty amazing results. But if the source is distant, you won't be able to make it sound close without noticeable phase affects. Might sound better, but not transparent. 

Thanks for all the input! I think because of the mic proximity artifacts started popping up pretty quick so there wasn't much I could do. They are rerecording! I've even offered to just do it but we'll see. Hopefully they won't botch this one too. Happy to know there are so many options out there. Going to practice tweaking on a couple random sound bites.