Communication and transmitting wireless

TelleT

I have seen several sound carts that have these "transmitter units" on them (poles with a "flag" on top). What are these called? I have tried to find out myself, without any luck. Also, what way do you communicate between each other if you are more than 1 guy in the sound-crew? As of now i have a mic on myself that i cue and out when i talk and transmit that to the others thru the mixer/recorder. I want to find another way because i have to record what i say and use one of the tracks for this, as i see as a waste of tracks. Here is a picture of the transmitter unit I ment. Thanks for any replies!

Skjermbilde 2017-03-28 kl. 02.46.09.png

These "transmitter units" you are showing are receiving antennas, log periodic type, often referred to as shark fins. These connect to the wireless receivers that are receiving a signal from wireless transmitters. Generally, this is not for communication purposes it is for recording purposes --- lavaliere microphones, body worn by the the person you are recording, or a boom microphone. As for your rather confusing question about tracks, cueing, transmitting, etc., I haven't a clue what it is you are asking.

Thank you for such a quick response!
Yeah i should have been more clear, il try to clear it up. I was asking 2 separate questions. Question 1 was the receiving antennas. The second question is communication. Im now going on a set where we are 2 guys in the sound-crew. I am tired of shouting over the set to talk to each other and have fixed so i can talk to him by putting a mic on me, that i run thru the mixer, and send to him with a transmitter where he got the receiver. I was wondering if anyone had a better solution for this, because i now have to use one of my tracks for this and i have to record it, and that means more memory for sound we dont need in post. Again thank you for such a quick response!

44 minutes ago, TelleT said:

Also, what way do you communicate between each other if you are more than 1 guy in the sound-crew? As of now i have a mic on myself that i cue and out when i talk and transmit that to the others thru the mixer/recorder. I want to find another way because i have to record what i say and use one of the tracks for this, as i see as a waste of tracks.

In your mixer route your talkback mic to your boom op, not to the recorder channels. Should be possible on most integrated mixer/recorders as well.

Or build yourself an outboard talkback box--easy to do with some thought and a few parts.  There are some useful mic pre kits here: http://www.canakit.com/electronic-kits/microphone-amplifiers-pre-amps.   

I made a few very workable talkback setups using the Canakit boards with the mic capsule mounted right on the circuit board--very easy.

On this idiots cart you will see two Comtek Transmitters on top of the cart with their two transmitting antennas.... You will also see the yellow bar where two Receiving Sharkfin ALP antennas are mounted as stated above by Jeff...   with your one transmitter, a Comtek 216/72 or Listen tech unit or an IFB, your boom ops can listen in...  On the other unit, also either a Comtek, Listen or IFB you can transmit to the director and or script and Client agency or whomever...

Your mixer should have a (1) comm send or more....  use these to route your communications systems...  You will be able to send them specific content AND communication from a mic on your side... somewhere, mixer, headset or other..(ext)....

cart_3:17.jpg