Sennheiser G3 bodypack problem after rained out shoot.

M Sisco

I used a Sennheiser G3 wireless kit as a camera hop to a Canon C100 the other day.  This was the second shoot for the unit on the camera.  It rained.  We covered the camera, but no one is perfect.  It could have gotten some moisture where it shouldn't be.  Everything appeared okay when I got home and checked the gear. 

Today I pulled the G3 out again and couldn't get a decent input level on the mixer.  I took it home and tested it in my 552, then direct to a 744T and again with a DR100MK II.  All of them had extmely low input levels and the signal sounded like it was on a high pass filter of at least 400Hz.  I tested with two mics. Both the same.   I reset both the transmitter and receiver to factory.  Same.  Any insight before I schedule a repair?  

what also helped me once was putting a moist device on a heating radiator for some days (just normal heating level in winter).

but I second Philip, if it's going to be used on important stuff in the future better to have it checked then risking that the problem might come back in a tricky moment.

chris

I'm insufficiently familiar with the specifics of Sennheiser G3 packs to know if opening the case is possible but that's a good first start to any water intrusion issue. An actress once inadvertently dropped a Lectrosonics pack into a toilet and I was able to avoid serious damage by pulling the circuit board from the case so it could rapidly dry out. That's relatively easy with the Lectro - just two screws on that model pack. If removing the circuit board or completely opening the case is not possible, opening the battery compartment would probably be worth doing.

David

It's very easy to disassemble a G3. You'll need a Torx screwdriver set and there's a couple ribbon cables you'll have to disconnect but nothing difficult. There's two main boards in there. 

There are many YouTube videos if you want to see a tear down. 

Thanks for the replies.  Some silica gel is definitely a good order item. It did clear up a little from simply drying out.  I learned that from the time I dropped the phone in the John.  However I think some mishandling from the camera department was the culprit.  Picked up a new 1/8" to XLRm cable and it came right back to life.   

Soundman mantra: check the cable first.