4-pin Hirose

nch

I tried a few searches on the forum and elsewhere but got nothing which I was surprised about as I think Sound Devices used these damn plugs all over the place. The connectors are 0.4mm and I need to find some cable with thin enough wires inside to make a DC power cable.

The only thing I found was a chap on you tube in America using a type of microphone cable but it’s not available over here in the UK.

Has anyone over here run into this problem and know of where to get some suitable cable for this purpose?

i ordered this one from audioroot:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/321742821380?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it did not arrive yet, so no experience if its good.

normaly i take rests of microphone or patch cables - mostly sommercables (not the best solution, you have to take care with the shield) or old cables from dead powersupplies and heatshrink, so you can use cables with thiner diameter.

Thanks for help. Canare mic cable looks perfect but as I said it's a US product. No available over here in the UK as far as I can tell. The availability of Audioroot stuff in the UK is very limited also, no cable of any kind that I can find but you guys did make me realise I should be searching for mic cable not DC power and I've got a few hits that are pretty close so I ordered some and will give a go, if anyone dose come on here who's over in the UK and knows of some cabling they have been using that fits those connectors pleased do let me know.

the audioroot cable you can order at there ebay shop, they are from france.

at the website http://www.audioroot.fr/

there is a direct link to the ebay site, they ship worldwide.

there is a right angled hirose 4 pin too, seems interesting for small bags, i am waiting for the delivery of cable and that plug and gonna post when i checked it...

15 hours ago, Derek H said:
3 hours ago, nch said:

Thanks for help. Canare mic cable looks perfect but as I said it's a US product. No available over here in the UK as far as I can tell. The availability of Audioroot stuff in the UK is very limited also, no cable of any kind that I can find but you guys did make me realise I should be searching for mic cable not DC power and I've got a few hits that are pretty close so I ordered some and will give a go, if anyone dose come on here who's over in the UK and knows of some cabling they have been using that fits those connectors pleased do let me know.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/30-610_CANARE-L-4E5C-CABLE-Black

I just like using the Mic cable because the conductor is the correct size for the Hirose cup, the overall diameter is correct for the connector barrel collet, and also mic cable has better flex than most DC cables which seem to use a harder plastic outer jacket. 

Someone once mentioned that if the cable got badly crushed the braid shield of mic cable could short the conductors and cause trouble but I'm having a hard time imagining that scenario in most of our rigs where the cables are protected by a bag or cart. Just make sure you don't have any loose braid shield filaments near your solder connections inside the Hirose. I think I might have used a little shrink tube around the cut for that reason. 

PS, I'm just one guy who came up with using mic cable for this purpose so please don't take it this is the standard way of doing it. Your results may vary! ;)

Canare is readily available in the UK from Canford or Studiospares to name but two. A good idea for you is to contact either Henry Smith or Stuart Torrance. They are making Hirose leads day in and day out and if you are hell bent on making your own leads I'm sure they will sell you the cable.

Thanks for all the replies guys.  Sorry about the delayed response. I must have messed with my settings so I didn’t know about the posts.

Yes I’m hell bent on making my own cables like many bits of kit that are easy to put together and once I set it up it takes very little time to make my own and they can be exactly to my needs, there strait away and much cheaper.

I’ve yet to find some DC cable to the exact specifications but I’ve found some that are in the ball park and ordered a bit to try. But as Derek mentioned its finding wire so thin for the connectors yet still thick enough to make a good fitting. I could get around that with lots of heat shrink but would rather just find the right cable and buy a bunch of it if possible.

Thanks for the directions for the Canare cable in the UK too, though the places mentioned only stock a limited range and not the one Derek was talking about. I’ll try calling them up and also the two chaps you mentioned Malcolm to see if they can help or point me in the right way.

• 4 weeks later...