SWITCHCRAFT TA (MINI-XLR) right angle connectors

soundtrane

Awesome. I really prefer the original Switchcraft TA3 to the Rean style one. And this has a chuck type strain relief so even better. I'm sure they're going to be spendy.

$14 each on Mouser. 

Looking at the CAD drawing I can't tell if you're able to rotate the plug to a desired cable angle or if you're just stuck with one orientation. Also, not sure this will work for having 6 of them in a row like in a 688 setup. 

1 hour ago, Klaus said:

The lightest, smallest RA TA3/5 you will find at ..... Hmm, shall I better post in manufacturers section?

Ambient and Kortwich are both great sources for low-profile connectors and special cables in Germany.

Smaller then the switchcraft, but not serviceable afaik (correct me if I'm wrong Klaus).

FYI -- Here's something I mentioned in another thread:

Redding Audio is now a distributor for the Cable Techniques XLRs and mini-XLRs. 

The good news is that since these are being distributed by Redding, you should be able to order them through your regular audio dealer. 

Here's a link to the Cable Techniques page:
https://www.cabletechniques.com/lopro-xlr-mini-xlr

So curiosity got me and I bought two TARA3 connectors.  

I can confirm that the cable can exit at noon, 1 o'clock, 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock but not in between those ranges because it's keyed. Sort of goes together like a neutrik right angle. Doesn't look like it bites down too hard so cable size will be important. Something thicker than lav cable or a few layers of shrink might be required. I can take measurements later maybe if anyone is interested. 

Haven't decided what I think of them yet. Kind of chunky and not going to work well on a recorder input/output where space is limited. The clamshell pieces are all made of plastic and are thicker than they would have needed to be if they used metal, all metal would have been better I'd say. 

I do like them them better than the Lectro RATPAC option though and the price is better than those...

22 minutes ago, Derek H said:

So curiosity got me and I bought two TARA3 connectors.  

I can confirm that the cable can exit at noon, 1 o'clock, 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock but not in between those ranges because it's keyed. Sort of goes together like a neutrik right angle. Doesn't look like it bites down too hard so cable size will be important. Something thicker than lav cable or a few layers of shrink might be required. I can take measurements later maybe if anyone is interested. 

Haven't decided what I think of them yet. Kind of chunky and not going to work well on a recorder input/output where space is limited. The clamshell pieces are all made of plastic and are thicker than they would have needed to be if they used metal, all metal would have been better I'd say. 

I do like them them better than the Lectro RATPAC option though and the price is better than those...

The RATPACK connectors are a study in frustration. The tiny set screws do not hold the front piece securely for any length of time. I've found that using clear nail polish on the front piece threads as an adhesive, clamping the assembly in a vise until the polish dries with the set screws tightened as tight as possible does a very good job of locking everything in place......hopefully. At $35 each they are way overpriced.