100sideprojects

Another TA5 low profile! Not right angle this time

25 posts in this topic

Yet another solution for your low profile TA5 needs.  I turned this cap for a Switchraft connector last night and people seem to get a kick out of it so here it is!

For more ideas and prototypes visit my instagram @100sideprojects

IMG_7222.JPG

IMG_7224.JPG

IMG_7223.JPG

Looks cool, does the original cable crimp fit still or are you doing something different inside?

That does look cool. My biggest gripe with the Switchcraft connector is the tendency for the plastic boot to crack over time. The lack of spark edges or corners on your design is also a plus.

I am using something else for strain relief, the original crimp would not fit. It works just like an xlr, tightens around the cable as the cap is being screwed on to the conn.  

I think CMSD means sharp edges.  No sharp edges, and the cap is much stronger.

I'd like to see your cable crimper piece. 

I bet you would!  Send me one of your mics and I'll wire it.  First one is free ;-)

Do you intend to sell the caps?

mike

Hi Mike, I have been putting the caps on cables I repair, people seem to like them.  Not sure I would sell the cap alone because then I would have to provide instructions on how to assemble the whole thing.  For now its just something I do for the people that have their repair work done with me.  I would be more than happy to wire cables or mics for anyone that is interested.  Of course the shipping charges wouldn't justify the expense.

Thank you for your interest!

It seems there is some interest in this version of the TA5 connector, so here are a few more examples!IMG_7273.JPGIMG_7277.JPG 

If you decide to sell these I'll take a dozen.

Those are some mighty sexy connectors (nice work on the snakes too).  I too will buy a dozen if you decide to sell them as parts.

No. Wait. Are the heatshrink extensions all the same length????

I'd buy some as parts too. There's a lot of DIY people here. 

The caps alone would not be useful.  The guts of the connector have been modified to accommodate for the short cap!

1 hour ago, Forward Sound said:

The caps alone would not be useful.  The guts of the connector have been modified to accommodate for the short cap!

Would you be I treated in selling the whole connector?

@Forward Sound Well done, these are great. I too would be interested in cables or at least learning how you are making these.

I want all my lavs re terminated with these. I hate the plastic boots that always break with the slightest amount of pressure. But getting 30ish mics done would cost a lot I am assuming. I'd love yo hear more!

I think he's not interested in selling the parts to diy'ers but will rewire your lavs if you send them to him. Or make you custom cables.

Plastic boot breaking? JonG, are you using genuine switchcraft parts? I've found that the other knock-offs fall apart eventually. Rubber strain relief tears, etc. 

Every cable or lav I have where I put a genuine switchcraft on has held up really well. 

More TA3 short profile.  Delrin cap this time.  Trying out different materials!

IMG_7608.JPG

IMG_7609.JPG

@Derek H They may be a number of different connectors such as Rean for example. Whatever they cane with. I acquired a lot of my cos-11s second hand many years ago so who knows which brand the connectors are. No labels. Either way, these ones look pretty cool!